Spindle power disconnects between VFD and drag chain

Those of you with spindles who route your power through a drag chain; did you install any kind of plugs on the leads before entering the VFD?

As I discovered while tracing down an X-Axis cable issue, all the connections between controller and CNC are easy to disconnect/reconnect, but it is a PITA when the VFD is effectively tied to the drag chain or when getting back inside the tight quarters of the VFD to disconnect wires when you need to troubleshoot or just physically separate the CNC from the controller and VFD.

Any recommendations on safe male/female plugs I could install on the spindle wires somewhere in between the VFD and the drag chain?

Yes I actually had one on my machine. Still do but currently doing some upgrades so I’ll be going with a different solution to keep the “plug & play” them going with the machine. Let me find a link to essentially what I used. You can then further investigate which is right for you and your application.

Well, I’ve searched through Amazon and can’t find exactly what I had before, but it’s essentially a Male to Female aviation connector. But it needs to be able to accept your cable diameter and also accept 16awg wire for the solder cups. Minimum of 4 pin connector possibly 5 pin to connect a shield or drain wire to to dissipate EMI interference.

Thanks…that’s what I’ve been searching on Amazon, too. If I can’t find both a male and female in barrel form, I’ll either get a plug with mate made for chassis mount, or 4 molex-style plugs rated for my amps.

Lots of choices here: