220v 1.5K vfd with 2.2K spindle?

Hey Brian,

this looks like a Huanyang HY Series VFD. Unfortunately, it is not capable of Sensorless vector control (SVC) and I consider this to belong to “cheap chinese” VFDs, even if “Huanyang” seems to be a brand.

Regarding the general mandatory VFD settings, you have to set:

Specifally the number of magnetic poles (value to set PD143) is not mentioned in the image you posted above, and since it is “4” by default, your spindle would run at half the speed. On a spindle that runs with 24 000 rpm at 400 Hz, you know that it has two magnetic poles, not four.

Pole pairs on three-phase asynchronuous induction motors:

Polpaar_zahl_1
Biezl, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Polpaar_zahl_2
Biezl, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

2 magnetic poles (1 pole pair)4 magnetic poles (2 pole pairs)

Also I would set PD011 (frequency lower limit) to what the spindle manufacturer says in the spindle manual. Usually spindle manufacturers require spindles with 2 magnetic poles that can do 24 000 rpm @ 400 Hz to set this limit to 6 000 rpm (100 Hz) or 8 000 rpm (133 Hz).

Since the spinde speed is calculated with:

this would mean:

100 Hertz × 2 × 60 seconds / 2 poles = 6,000 rpm
133 Hertz × 2 × 60 seconds / 2 poles = 7,980 rpm (≈ 8,000 rpm)

What is mentioned in your image is the setting PD144 (rated motor revolution) whose meaning is often not clear because of the lousy manuals of cheap chinese VFDs. It means “rotations per minute with which the spindle would run if provided with a frequency of 50 Hz”.

This would mean:

50 Hertz × 2 × 60 seconds / 2 poles = 3,000 rpm

So here you got to set PD144 to “3000”, this is correct.

PD070 (analog input), PD072 (lower analog frequency) and PD073 (higher analog frequency) are only necessary if you want to control spindle speed with a potentiometer through the analog voltage or analog current input (or if you have the Masso G3 controller which controls the spindle this way too because it does not support Modbus control). Since I can assume you have the buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller, you would let the CNC controller control spindle speed and STOP/RUN command via Modbus via its RS-485 serial communication port instead. In this case you would need to set the communication settings PD163, PD164 and PD165 to the same values as set in the Onefinity CNC Controller on the “I/O” page, and also you’ll have to set:

• “Source of Operation Commands” (PD001) to “2” (communication port)
  • “Source of Operating Frequency” (PD002) to “2” (communication port)

Since your VFD is not capable of vector control, you can only use the (more stupid) U/f (voltage/frequency) control. The settings PD005–PD010 are used to fine-tune the U/f mode:

Huanyang_HY_VFD_manual_VF_setting_curves
– Source: Huanyang Inverter HY Series Instruction Manual

Follow the instruction of each setting in the manual to choose the correct value.

If I can give you an advice: Never set a setting without knowing what it is for, which also implies, never run a device with default settings (even if the designers of a popular graphical operating system tries to teach people since 1985 that this is a good idea. In fact, it is not.).

Default, n.: The vain attempt to avoid errors by inactivity. Possibly from Black English “De fault wid dis system is you, mon.” “Nothing will come of nothing: speak again.” – King Lear.

Ambrose Bierce, The devil’s dictionary.

Please do not ever use the word default in a program designed for
humans. Default is something the mortgage went into right before the
evil banker stole the Widow Parson’s house. There is an exhaustive list
of substitutes (previous, automatic, standard, etc.) in the Appendix to
How to Write a Manual

Defaults should be declared, not assumed . Undeclared (not displayed)
defaults such as pressing RETURN for Yes (or for No?) will cause
confusion and anger.

– Source: Apple IIe Design Guidelines, 1982

1 Like