Hey all, hopefully I’m in the right area to show off some pics of a 3D printed/acrylic enclosure. My Dad purchased the Onefinity CNC about 2 years ago and hasn’t got off it since. He has it out in his workshop and while noise isn’t really an issue out there he has quite a bit of dust buildup around the shop.
We decided to put together this enclosure over the last few weeks which consists of two 180 degree hinged front doors and a 180 degree hinged hood for maximum work volume when opened up.
This picture shows the working area when the front doors and hood are in the fully open position.
Front-View fully closed
Here’s an isometric view where you can see the two front doors in the closed position and some of the supporting pieces.
Here’s a sideview with some accessories such as a 2" vacuum hose grommet, extrusion plugs and various mounts for cables and a webcam. I’ll eventually install a Pi on Dad’s wifi network and host a feed of the webcam to view a live feed of CNC progress.
Since we went with rather thin sheets of plexiglass, some additional ledge supports for the upper roof were needed, including a 2’ aluminum extrusion which is mounted between the hinged hood and static part of the roof. In hindsight if we were to do this project again, 1/4" plexiglass or even thicker may have been a better choice.
Here’s a closeup of an installed upper support with some car door trim we used for aesthetic. Nearly all of the parts are printed with a #4 or #6 hex cut for easy installation.
Here’s a closeup of a corner brace which is basically mirrored all around the enclosure, less the bottom back which has quit a bit more thickness and height to really sure up the box.
The two front doors rest on a set of polycarbonate wheels which mount to these corner brackets and are offset to the designed-in gap of "200 around all edges. The wood underneath was then slotted so they roll smoothly into place when closed. When opened the hinges are strong enough to hold the weight of the door assembly without any flex.
Along the center aluminum support there is an LED light strip mounted.
Lastly, the iPad mounting arm was too short and collided with the enclosure panel. So we reverse engineered a new one up at 8" in length and printed it up in ABS filament, and finally locked it in with some lock nuts.
Since the router sits in a metal shop all day, the majority of these parts were printed at 240c on an Ender 3 using Overture PETG. Some non-functional parts we used Esun PLA+. All in all we spent around $150 on the glass, $60 on filament (lots of testing) and some change on hardware. All of the parts were designed by myself in Fusion 360, the gear hinge was pulled from thingaverse but modified to death to work with our thin plexiglass. Everything was sliced in both Prusa and Cura slicers at either .16 layer height or .2. This was my first real functional print project and every hole, length, width, fillet came within +/-.003" of nominal.
There was definitely some lessons learned and still might be, but it was all worth it when the plastic film was torn off at the end. If anyone would like the CAD files for this project, just drop me a message and I can send you a google drive link. Otherwise, we’re open to any questions or comments.
Thanks for checking out this project.