4th axis wiring

Thanks I’ll try later today but a few questions.

1. Do I check with the 1F turned on?
  2. Do I check at each (A+/-, B+/-)? And what setting do I use? I have 10 ohms and 1000 ohms.
  3. What number should I be looking for?

Can you answer my questions below?
Thanks
Boo

I was thinking of troubleshooting slowly, starting from the source. So I thought we could check to see what the drivers are sending out to the stepper motors.

With the 1F turned on, and only the X and Z axis motor cables plugged in, use the joystick to confirm that these motors work as expected. I would also use the MDI to give an X and Z movement as well. (I am assuming all your motors are still attached to your 1F).
Using your multimeter, I would be interested in checking what voltage is being sent out to the Y stepper motors. I believe the controller uses a 24DC power supply, so set your multimeter to a voltage range that covers that. You want to test the voltage within each coil, not between. Check with probes connected to A+/A-, and B+/B- (not between As and Bs). This should also be done when you are commanding the Y motor(s) to move . Try first with the joystick, but also with MDI commands in case you have any axes locked on the gamepad (see NOTE) below. I believe you should be getting a voltage reading (don’t worry about +/-) for the A and B sides of the connector. I would also do this with the original motor settings, not any rotary configuration, as that can be part of future testing. Also, to keep it simple I would have my 4th axis motor cable with its own Molex connector going straight to the motor output of the controller (making sure you have the wiring done correctly). I have not reviewed your wiring, so will assume it has been done correctly. Once we know the Y drivers are VDC, we can continue the troubleshooting. Do not plug/unplug any motor wires while the controller/drivers are powered.

NOTE: I do not use this controller, motors, and joystick/game pad. I believe I read in the forum that the joystick can lock axes movement so that only one axis at a time moves allowing, for example, the controlled manual surfacing of stock. Is it possible that in your earlier testing you accidently had the Y axis locked out?

That’s correct. You press and hold the wide rectangular buttons at the back of the joypad behind the joystick to lock the movement of the corresponding X or Y axis.

I tested both Y steppers and Controller. All were fine. So I decided to see if it might be in my configuration file by testing the movement using the original config settings and hooking up first to Y1 and then to Y2. In both cases the 4th axis spun. So now I believe it is in the 4th Axis configuration setup. I will review and make sure of the settings Roger advised. I will send pictures of changes in Motor 1 and Motor 2 later. Maybe Roger can figure it out. Thanks TM for keeping up with me on this. Your help and guidance is much appreciated.

OK later, after I’ve taken pictures…

1 Like

Hey DaBooBear,

if you assigned one stepper motor driver to axis “A”, you need a toolpath or g-code command that makes use of this axis. Otherwise you will hardly measure something on this motor port.

At this point the gcodes are irrelevant. The machine configuration file settings are the issue it appears. The toolpaths and gcodes will be saved and uploaded with a project(s).

Hey DaBooBear,

and how do they look like?

Can you show the saved configuration (json) file?

I will share when I take them. Having a WiFi issue right now.

1 Like

OK here are my configuration changes as pictures.

Hey DaBooBear,

I rather meant a saved configuration file (json file). With this, it is easier to see what modifications on the settings you made at the first sight, by diff’ing them to the stock configuration.

So when you modify your settings according to Roger’s Rotary Setup (I assume you use this), what do you expect the machine to do, what is your test then?

Did you try to enter “G0 A10” into the MDI field?

2 Likes

Well I tested the X axis by plugging the 4th axis into it and was able to get the tool to spin forward and backward without any changes to the X axis. But when I plug into the Y axis with the settings noted in the picture nothing happens. I’m waiting for Roger to respond.

Roger, can you use your joystick or click on the Y+ and Y- and get any movement?

I think I will make a simple project of a 1”D rod with a simple cut with an end mill going around the rod at some X point. Run the file and see what happen?

I saved the file and renamed it after making changes. Called it 4thAxisConfig.json. Then loaded it. The X and Z moved with the joystick but the Y(A) did nothing.

Hey DaBooBear,

if you assign a motor driver to axis “A”, you cannot expect that it will move if you give a command to move “Y”, or by clicking on a button that moves “Y”.

2 Likes

No. I’m not sure how to do that. Can you give me directions? And what is that supposed to do?

Further to what @Aiph5u said, you can see from the above code the Y axis is disabled (the other axes including A are enabled), so you need to use ‘A’ in your MDI to make it turn.

1 Like

Hey DaBooBear,

OT: just as a tip, you can upload files with the seventh icon in the button bar in the message composer window (“Upload”).

If you don’t use the “Upload” functionality but paste a file into the message compositor window, it’s better to use the “preformatted text” functionality to preserve the leading spaces. This is the sixth icon in the top button bar in the message composer window.

Hey DaBooBear,

You have a keyboard, either an on-screen keyboard or a hardware keyboard?

You go to the MDI Tab in the Tabbed Section of your Onefinity Controller display, click into the MDI field so that the field accepts input (the on-screen keyboard will pop up now), and then using the keyboard, you type into the field:

G0 A10

Then you click on the “play” button on the display on the left of it.

G0 means linear move, and A10 means move “A” axis 10 units into the positive direction.

PS: You may also click on the “A” arrows in the Jog Tab.

1 Like

There are two Y motors. One is renamed to A and the other is disabled.

Here is A

“axis”: “A”,
“max-accel”: 750.0017064,
“enabled”: true,

On the MDI if you notice in the picture there is only X,Y, and Z movement selections.

This is NOT the MDI field.