80mm upgrade cable question

Hey Martin,

That makes no sense!

You forgot the

• Third option: You buy a connector that fits your cable. That is what I did too.

What happened to me is, after having chosen and bought my spindle, which takes 10 A, I ordered a connector from a supplier that is known to offer the same spindle and I ordered it specifically for the spindle (the spindle has a Phoenix Contact M17 connector).

The result was I received a Phoenix M17 connector Phoenix No. 1607684 for ⌀ 8…10 mm cable (outer diameter), which fits connector on the spindle, but not my cable LAPP No. 0026271 4 x 2,5 mm² which is ⌀ 11.8 mm thick.

And as for spindle cables, at the same webshop with the connector, the thickest cable they offer is LAPP No. 0026251 4 x 1,5 mm² and they offer it for the spindle mentioned above. This cable would fit the connector they sell mentioned above but I consider 1.5 mm² (approx. 16/17 AWG) not to be enough for 10 A in a moving cable, so I got to buy a Phoenix No. 1624537 connector for ⌀ 10…12.5 mm cables at another shop, since my cable is 11.8 mm thick.

Since Phoenix M17 connectors are sold without contacts, I was happy that at least the Phoenix No. 1607658 contacts I got fit wires with cross-section areas from 1 to 2.5 mm², so no problem here.

Just the recommended crimp pliers for them, SF-Z0025 and SF-Z0054 are a little pricey, but what do you expect from crimping pliers that have a computer and a display in it. Happily our good old and world-renowned pliers manufacturer Knipex, pliers manufacturer since 1882, offers crimp pliers for turned contacts too, so I am happy to use the good old Knipex 975264 (or no more in production, use 975263 instead) crimping pliers for it.