Trusted shielded 16/3 and 16/4 suppliers?

Hey Atroz,

What to select is one for power and that is shielded. Often this is to find in a category “for motor”. Also choosing a cable for power chains means you will have no sorrows if you install it on moving parts (as in a CNC).

I think Tom used one with an additional signal wire because Tom’s spindle has a temperature sensor.

I use LAPP ÖLFLEX® CLASSIC FD 810 CY, in the strength 4 x 2.5 mm² (LAPP #0026271) for the 2.2 kW spindle or 4 x 1.5 mm² (LAPP #0026251) for a 1.5 kW spindle (=shielded 3+PE).

:warning: Therefore the reference to “16/3” in the topic’s title is dangerous: NEVER connect a spindle without a PE wire! Shield cannot replace a PE wire!

Note that if you bought a cheap chinese kit, usually it comes with a so-called “aviation connector” and it is expected that you make the spindle cable yourself. I strongly advise against trying this. These connectors are not made for the use in power applications, and the problem with them is that their strain relief clamp usually will not allow cables of more than 7.8 mm wire diameter, which limits these “aviation connectors” to cables that are underdimensioned for the spindle’s current. The LAPP Ölflex spindle cable shown above (LAPP #0026251 for 1.5 kW spindle) is 9.9 mm in diameter and the LAPP #0026271 for 2.2 kW spindle is 11.8 mm in diameter (nearly half an inch), so no chance to get such a cable into such an “aviation connector”.

Therefore for these cheap chinese spindle kits, I strongly recommend NOT to try to make your spindle cable yourself, especially because on top of it all, the connector is not made for crimping the wires onto it, but it is a connector to be soldered. Since the connector and the cable both have a high mass, a soldering gun for electronics will not be enough, you will at least need a 80 W soldering gun with temperature sensor. Therefore what I recommend instead is to buy Daniel Moran’s @PwnCNC ready-to-use spindle cable here.

E.g. the spindle connector for my spindle has contacts that get crimped, which is the usual way wires are connected to contacts in the industry. The connector is the

Generally,

Note that the threads quoted above contain much information. You are not the first forum user to ask “Which spindle cable should I use?”, it’s a frequently asked question and many answers already dealt with that topic in the past.

:white_check_mark: IMPORTANT NOTE: I would strongly advise against making your own spindle cable without reading this document:

Ah I forgot, note that if you want to use a 110 V spindle, you got to know that there will flow double the current (in A) than as with 220 V, for the same power! Double the current means double the cross-section area of the wire. Therefore everyone tries to avoid running high power applications on girly power :slight_smile:.

:warning: Note that many chinese spindle suppliers label their spindle as 2.2 kW spindles while in real it’s just a 1.5 kW spindle, as explained here!

1 Like