A little protection for the Y-axis gantry mounts

I’ve had a few instances of items getting stuck between the y-axis gantry mounts and the mounting blocks on the table. This usually results in an “Oh $**t” moment, lost steps, and a ruined project. Now granted, I should keep unnecessary items off my table but bad habits are bad habits.

I decided to install some preventative measures today. I had some leftover 3/4" aluminum angle from my drag chain install (didn’t end up using it on the y-axis) so I decided to put it to good use today. I mounted a 3ft length of angle on between the y-axis mounting blocks and the spoilboard. This should help keep items from getting wedged between the gantry sliders and the table or mounts.

4 Likes

Hey Josh,

my thought regarding this important possible issue was, while you’re at it, why not make it a little higher. And since Tom got the machine before I got mine, this already exists, it is nice, isn’t it?

1 Like

I went simpler; a strip of timber. Looks clunky vs the ones above.

Whatever you use I found that easy disassembly is necessary for cleaning purposes; else it won’t get cleaned of the inevitable detritus that will accumulate.

2 Likes

Nice, the extra height looks like it might help with dust too. I’ll roll with this for a while and maybe change again in the future.

I just ordered a Black Friday 3D printer deal this morning so that opens another new door for me! More making, less buying.

2 Likes