Assembled weight plus one

What about my Journeyman weight post here? Journeyman X-50 was 73.5 kg (≈ 162 lbs), the QCW frame for Journeyman was additional 20.1 kg (≈ 44 lbs).

The long package is the X axis, it only contains the X axis. The two shorter ones are the Y rails. One of these short Y boxes included the complete Z-16 assembly with stepper (heavy), the other short Y box contained the (buildbotics-derived) Onefinity CNC Controller, the Infinite dust boot kit, the wireless gamepad, the 80 mm spindle mount, the Onefinity (Triquetra) Three-axis Touch Plate, and the small and the large Oops Clamps sets. No ‘stiffy’ 3rd rail ordered, the Z assembly is the Z-16.

The Journeyman QCW frame is in a separate, fourth box.

I doubt that there is much additional weight just because of the cardboard boxes, …

Image: Journeyman unboxing: The Journeyman X axis with X carriage and stepper motor in its cardboard box. Z assembly is in another box.

… and the usual accessories will be included in the assembled machine too. Also the difference between PRO and Elite should be minimal. You have a black aluminium box which is the Onefinity Controller on the PRO Series and the Power Supply with relay circuitry for shopvac and router on the Elite, but the case is nearly identical and contains the same 36 V Meanwell switching power supply. The stepper motors on PRO are slightly heavier than on the old X-50/Original Series, and the stepper motors on Elite are a bit heavier too. But the main part of the overall weight comes from the chrome-plated, hardened steel hollow shafts that the rails are made of, and the carriages with their linear cylindrical bearings, and the ball screws, and all these do not differ between new PRO Journeyman, old X-50 Journeyman, or Elite Journeyman. Drag chains are identical on PRO and Elite, they were missing comletely on old X-50/Original, and are made of plastic (and, by the way, with 30 mm width much to small for everything you need when you run a water-cooled spindle).

The exact weight of all different stepper motors on all models can be found in the forum, but I don’t think that does matter that much. All steppers contain lots of steel, copper, and magnets, so are all more or less heavy.

One thing is router/spindle difference. A 2.2 kW 24 000 rpm water-cooled spindle may well weigh 5 kg or more.

1 Like