Ball Nuts to you but what about me?

Hello - I thought I’d look at mine with the various discussions and videos on Ball Nuts. I have a Journeyman. Should I have 1 or 2 Ball Nuts moving my X-Axis (the unit holding the spindle)? I ask because I have bolt holes suggesting one could be put there. Here are some pictures. The first picture is on the right side, and the second is on the left side. Cheers

Hey Andy,

one ball screw has exactly one ball nut! :slight_smile:

Further Reading

Ball screw - Wikipedia

1 Like

Off topic but somewhat related. I had measured the backlash of the axes when I got my original Woodworker, and happily it was quite small. While collecting my data I had been reading about anti-backlash ball screw nuts, and the use of a secondary pre-tensioned nut. It got me thinking that if it were ever a problem, perhaps the second unused housing opening could be used to fashion some sort of anti-backlash solution - again I found backlash to not be an issue on my 1F at the time of initial set-up and measuring.

1 Like

Good to know one ball nut is good; I was confused by the unused holes.

It’s a bit of a cavity, mind you. Having something attached to keep the rubbish out would be helpful.

Good to know backlash is acceptable; not something I’d test.

2 Likes
1 Like

So I need to pay more attention to the supporting documentation :blush:

What Worked Well: I spotted something (if after several months)
Even Better If: I had read the documentation.

2 Likes

When in doubt, Check the FAQ section :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey Andy,

like this?

Thank you - TPU is a bugger to print (at least for me - based on one experiment). I’ll have to try something less flexible and find a way to get them on without having to take the CNC apart.

I will give it a go - the idea is good.

What kind of printer do you have? Happy to help if I can…

The TPU wipers are an easy install, nothing to take apart:

1 Like

Ok: I would appreciate your support. I have a prusa mk3s printer.

@AndyP your Z axis caught my eye… trying to figure out if your bearings are shorter or if your holder is thicker than on mine. :thinking:

Yours ~

Mine ~

Not sure what it is supposed to look like - but I have an 80mm spindle holder that may be deeper

1 Like

80mm mounts get mounted flush, 65mm mounts do not.

2 Likes

I wondered if you might have had an 80mm mount. My standard 65mm is 1.50" thick.

Cool, me too. I use the provided Sainsmart TPU profile in Prusa Slicer. I normally print with a 0.6mm nozzle, but here are my settings for the standard 0.4mm:

1 Like

Hey Bill,

the original 65 mm mount is 1.5″ (38.2 mm) high and the optional Onefinity 80 mm mount is 2″ (51 mm) highZ linear bearing is 2.75″ (70 mm) long.

1 Like

Hi @Tuvix72 - I have purchased and downloaded the Etsy files:

In the image folder, I was expecting to see a file for the Y-axis

But there is no file indicated for use with a Y-Rail?

Am I missing something?

Andy

Hi Andy, the Y axis uses the X-35 wiper pair. I should rename them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you mind adding something to your listing? The wipers are causing stall homing issues as they provide more ‘friction’ than without. Users are confused as it’s causing stall homing issues. They’ll need to adjust stall homing if it doesn’t work well after adding these.

3 Likes