Bit selection, degrees and vendors

I will take a shot at answering some of your questions based on my experiences.

Yes*

*are you using the makita or a spindle? If makita, yes. If a spindle, depends on your collet size. For ER11, sill most likely 1/4” is your work horse. If ER20, 1/2” 2 flute becomes your work horse.

In my experience, burning is most likely with too high a RPM (speed) and too low IPM(feed rate). Since I use Fusion 360, I set a chip load and F360 pick a feed rate based on the bit profile RPM.

Generally, setting feeds n speeds that the machine can handle as close to optimum for bit and material per manufacturer is what I go for. Again very generally, that means I drop chip load from ideal to something less as long as I can keep it above .001 (forget units inch per tooth??). Anything less than that and rubbing happens which will burn pretty quick.

I like 1/8” tapered ball nose. Also, tool marks are a function of stepover. The smaller the step over the smaller the tool marks. You can get good surface finish with a 1/4” ball nose with a 10% step over.

What we trade is sanding time for machine time. For instance, I did this with a .25mm tapered ball nose. I forget how long it took, but I seem to recall a hour at this size.

If the using a makita, please go watch the makita bursting into flames videos when using a 1” surfacing bit and read post of issues here like Fire safety. . Second, surfacing bits do not plunge cut well even on a spindle that could handle a 2” bit. If you manage to overcome all that, it is likely to burn oak even at optima feed rates.

Hope you find some use in my experiences.

1 Like