Trying a New/Additional Source for Bits

According to what I’ve read, these guys do large runs for major manufacturers and make small batches of hobby CNC bits during their down and slow time. The prices are quite low, and the bits are made in VA, USA. I’ll write about their performance after they’ve arrived and they’ve been in use for awhile.

[http://www.centuriontools.com]

Jim

3 Likes

I don’t understand how these company sell bits and provide literally zero specifications about their bits.

Example

Where are the specs for feed rate, etc?

I think the assumption is that these bits are “industry standard” quality. Therefore you should use “industry standard” feeds and speeds.

1 Like

Nothing says “industry standard” like assumptions :laughing:

Where can I find a reference to what the industry standards are?
I guess I can use Amana bit specifications as a guide?

1 Like

I use the Amana guide for all my bits as a starting point unless the manufacturer supplies the information. For 1/16" bits I’ve been using bits I got off ebay that I believe are used for making holes in circuit boards. A pack of 5 cost less than one Amana bit. I only use them for rest machining so they don’t get a ton of use, I’m still using the first bit. But they didn’t come with any speed or feed information. The Amana information for their bit of the same spec has worked just fine.

1 Like

I use Amana or Whiteside specs since they both have tool libraries that I can import into Fusion.

1 Like

First good sign. Ordered at 8:39 a.m. Notice of shipment at 10:54 a.m.

1 Like

Well, I have to say that these bits are quite good and that they last a long time. I have used a single compression bit extensively for the past month. This use might be classified as abuse by some -in addition to traditional hardwoods the bit has seen extensive action in particle board-based melamine. The bit is still producing razor sharp edges across all materials, with no chipping or fuzzing. I noticed the other day that with a fairly new cutter in the Festool Domino machine that the mortises were not as clean as those made by this month-old Centurion bit. This was surprising.

I’ve also made some use of a 45 degree v-carve bit. Doing a comparison between a new Amana and a new Centurion on low grade melamine, both cut quietly and the Centurion left no chips in the melamine layer at all. The Amana did a good job, but the consistent minuscule chipping added up to a product that was not as nicely done as the one done with the Centurion bit. I tried the same carve climb cutting with the Amana. The result was better, but still not as good as the Centurion.

I’m a skeptic and old enough to have earned the right to be curmudgeonly. If a consumable doesn’t do well it gets returned, tossed, or buried in a junk drawer never again to see the light of day. If somebody asks my opinion I tell him the truth - earned expletives uncensored. The two Centurion bits I’ve tried have done well. The price is more than fair, and shipping has been super quick. When the time comes these bits will be sent to Forrest for sharpening. Sharpening is a real budget saver and everything that comes back from Forrest is truly “scary sharp.” These bits are winners.

Jim

2 Likes