Clipart and learning the hard way

some of you more experienced users may have a way to do this easier but since no one responded to my cry for help I had to try it another way. LOL I was trying to set up my first 3d carve for a handle. I wanted to put two different pieces of clip art on it but when I went to preview them they both cut at different depths. One was way too deep the other was ok. I never realized that would happen so to work around it I set up a template of the basic shape set it as my template then grabbed and placed the first carving on it and saved it as a file, and then saved the toolpath and put it in a file folder and labeled the file 'such and such step one" Then I opened the template again, put the second clipart file in place made my toolpath and saved the file and then saved the toolpath as “so and so step two” and since it was a two sided carving i did the same thing for the second side. Yes it means I actually have five files for this project but since I saved the tool path gcode to one folder, I have all I need to do the job in one folder that I can cut easily, and everything comes out as I wanted it. Oh, the things that tutorials do not teach you. I hope this helps some other newbie.

3 Likes

I also name my files this way… Though my format is:
Step, project, description, stk x,xxx X y,yyy X z,zzz, origin low-left/center/etc., Z-top/waste board, but x,xxx FEM(flat end mill)/BEM (ball end mill)/xxdegV/ etc.

Example: 01 project, carve stk 12,000 x 10,000 x 0,750, origin center, top, bit 60degV

Would be the first step on a project, carving on stock oriented on the table 12" long on x-axis, 10" wide on y-axis, and 3/4" high. Origin would be stock center on the material surface using a 60 degree V-carve bit.

I find this orders the steps in the controller for partitioned tool changes and reminds me what I did for setup when I repeat a project.

1 Like

I do something similar.

It’s a shame the industry hasn’t come up with a standard to automatically code all that info into meta-data for the gcode code file.

-Mark

2 Likes

As a going to be newbie, I haven’t a clue. I’m concerned that I may not even be able to set up the Masso to even get started. All the videos I find a from 3 years ago on using the Masso. I’m hoping the Onefinity Foreman I ordered comes pretty much plug and go. Time will tell, and if anyone has a current video on how to set up and use the Masso with the Elite Foreman, please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Hey Mark,
gcode files have always supported comments. I think what you are wanting is what I call header comments in the gcode file. Mine look something like this;

%
(BIRD ROUGHING .25 UPCUT WHITESIDE)
(STOCK SIZE: X15, Y8, Z1.25)
(ORIGIN: FRONT LEFT BOTTOM)
(TOOL: WHITESIDE .25 UPCUT)
(ADAPTIVE1)
(T1)
N25 S20000 M3 M0 (MSG, SPINDLE SPEED 20000 RPM, SET DIAL TO 3.6)
N30 G54
N35 G0 X1.9742 Y2.7396
…

How you get the comments in the file is dependent on your post processor and/or your gcode skills.
My post will put one line in but I find it easy to open the gcode file and add the rest.

1 Like

You can modify your post processor to add a lot of this automatically for you as comments at the top of your gcode. I currently have mine set up to add the following:

Tool notes (Part number, type of cutter, diameter, etc)
Router speed
XY origin
Z origin

I posted how I do it on the post processor topic.

1 Like

Hey yes, I realize one can put comments in the gcode.

But I didn’t realize that VCarve could be configured to add this automatically to the gcode. I guess I need a better class of CAM program - hah!

-Mark