CNC bit Diving into Work with no issues on Fusion (solved emi)

Hey everyone. Having major issues and have lost over $200 in stock so far. I have a few programs that work from time to time, other times they don’t. When they dont the bit dives into the work pieces, destroying the stock and bit. No issues on Fusion 360 side. I’ve even changed the desired cut depth many times. 1 day it works, the next it doesn’t. Big issue as this machine seems to be loosing its quality over time fast and I care for mine intensely.

Does your origin in CAM match the origin of your workpiece?

1 Like

Hey Steve,

sounds like the z plunge issue.

Search the forum for
z plunge issue
EMI
shielded cables
strain relief
Z curly cable
Molex contacts
Makita vs. ER collet

See also these Support documents:

1 Like

Isolate the issue
Check software use a known code that works if good then check Z zero height on file
Is it Z zero on top of work or set to bottom?
If all good then it’s in the machine side

2 Likes

Have you double checked the NC code for any Z moves that are not warranted?

1 Like

Hey everyone,
First off I want to apologize for any hostility in original post. I posted in a state of frustration.

Later I did some searching and was able to isolate the issue to EMI interference. Mostly due to the screen blinking in and out. I found that I can test before each actual cut and rush to the emergency shut off if its about to go wrong. This is because when it plunges, it does so at a much higher than normal speed. Therefor its easy to spot.

I’ve purchased some extension cords to send the CNC, router, and vacuum to different outlets. I also raised the vacuum tube so it isn’t touching any metal on the machine, but the vacuum does sit below the CNC in a cab. That alleviated it slightly. I get 95% success but only if I turn on ZERO other machines while the cnc is going, or just on, this includes the vacuum. But the second you turn on another machine, it plunges on the next operation. I have had it do so while manually using a flattening bit as well, but that never results in mistakes I can’t get around.

Im ultimately wondering tho one thing. I am asking this with a great deal of respect to this company and don’t mean any passive insult or aggression.
Is it really ok for a $5k machine to have issues with EMI? Is this just a reality that near impossible to get around. And are there any other solutions I can go about?
Not an electrician so excuse my arrogance… can I just build a faraday cage around outlets, wrap the wires in electrical tape, seal the CNC in an enclosure or seal the controller in an enclsoure (faraday cage style), or enclose the stepper motors? that last one wont be easy but could potentially solve the issue for everyone with the machine if the files are shared, which I would do.
I’m also thinking attaching a copper wire or copper tape to every metal part I can find and then connecting the copper to a ground.

But last, the clear BIGGEST culprit for static electricity and what not is the vacuum. I can feel it on the vacuum, dust separator bucket, and hose. splinters stick to it all like a kids hair in that parachute thing we all did in elementary school.

Hey Steve,

you may be interested in these postings:

1 Like

PS: I haven’t tested those, but these cables add the lacking shielding:

… but you still have the unreliable, unsuitable, tin-plated Molex/Amphenol connectors

2 Likes

Ok so update the connectors and chains?
All i’ve done so far is have the control box on its own outlet. Everything else is unfortunately unable to do so. I have a air purifier (wen) directly above the CNC. CNC is located just feet from wall its plugged into (not the control thats now 7 feet away). Everythign else attached to power strip. I’ve taken electrical tape and wrapped each of the Z connectors. I’ve also added a grounding plug to the left bottom rail and top rail. Fixed with, you guessed it, electrical tape.

I need to dismantle the whole thing soon for a massive spoil board update. Just need to find time to pick up some MDF. I am thinking that will be the PRIME time to replace connectors and chains.