Constant disconnect of usb drive (Masso) (solved see faq)

Well we have a onefinity woodworker in our wood working club. I have one heck of a time with the usb disconnecting all the time. during cuts. today I tried for forty five minutes to insert the thumb drive and never got it to stay connected I have seen there are some issues with this other then me. Can anyone tell me if there is a fix or do we have a bad usb plug in I have done all the trouble shooting I can think, that they said to try.
I told the head of the cnc department today to get it fixed or send the thing back to onefinity and tell them to correct it. this is a club machine in a retirement community and and we have lots of people that will be running and I am suppose to teach them how. but with this issue i can not.

I think the machine is a great machine but I think it was released to soon with a lot of bugs.
I was told that it is an electrical problem EMI.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marcel

1 Like

I bet Onefinity support would be able to help you out.
Masso is tracking this issue and has replacement parts for those who are experiencing any usb disconnects with multiple usb drives. If you have this issue, reach out to masso via their ticketing system:

First, and most obvious, thing to try, a different usb.

1 Like

Ok that is obvious, that is the first thing I did. I have put ferrite filters on like someone suggested.

I am not the only one that has encountered this problem as I checked the internet.
Marcel

1 Like

@Marcel63
I also had this problem and it drove me nuts. The damn thing would disconnect if you looked at it the wrong way.

The usb drive that came with the OF i ended up tossing as i couldn’t keep it connected. I tested several usb drives and most others worked just fine with little to no disconects. That being said the usb that came with it if connected to the masso inside the cabinet also worked without issue so the usb port on the bottom isn’t the greatest.
After switching usb sticks i have had only 1 disconnect which is still 1 to many. And fear is only a matter of time before it does it again.

That being said onefinity support is fantastic and very responsive. And absolutely love this machine.
Reach out to them they will take care of you.

1 Like

Well I have tried many USB driver all acting flakey. So it only works with high dollar USB drives.
I have turned in a ticket to onefinity about this problem.

This is a USB drive intended for industrial applications. Among other things, it has shock/vibration resistance, extended operating temperature range, ECC error bit protection, and power fail management.

I haven’t even tried the external USB on mine, as I prefer to just use the wireless MASSO link transfer. I installed this thing permanently on the inside of the MASSO G3 touch unit. Zero issues so far.

1 Like

Yes here we go we have to buy 72 dollar USB drives. That is ridiculous. I ran Haas CNC in the tool and die trade and never had a problem. I guess the swissbit people are looking to retire early.
Hell I can buy a hard drive for that price .

1 Like

Marcel,
Don’t buy anything. Create a ticket with Masso Support so they can get you fixed up.

1 Like

Some have reported that their USB issues have been tied to the drive, and that they have been resolved with a new one. Semiconductor test is my profession, and I can tell you there are for sure test and design differences for consumer, automotive, industrial, and military nonvolatile memories. They are not the same. Now whether or not the actual issue people are seeing is related to the drive, is another issue. Industrial rating for the memory is not a meaningless “snake-oil” term though.

1 Like

I Think It is a bad cable inside.
I brought an extension USB cable in and it has worked perfectly all day so far. Maybe a cold solder joint or something.

2 Likes

Oddly enough mine just disconnected again… ticket with masso created.

let me ask you we are a club in a retirement community in Arizona… so lots of people will be using this and I know they wont want to spend that kind of money on a drive.
I
ok the question is does the masso controller have to have a drive plunged into it. I did not think so but the guy running the IT said it has to be there to run which to me sounded strange. I am not in IT but I have programed haas , Fadal, mikinos and okumas never had an isue with a thumdrive evan using the ones the sales people just gave us. I still have my one from MasterCam that I got from the sales rep and it works in every computer but the masso controller.

is it hard to set up the wifi to the masso?

Marcel

There are 4 usbs on the controller. One is for the touch screen, 1 is an extension cable to the outside, and there are 2 remaining

Yes there are the one that comes down to plug in is the one i am having disconect.

But we are a club and I cannot have everyone abd the brother going into that cabnet

Then get a different extension cord and have it come out the back… you were asking about other ports. I answered

Here’s the info on masso link
https://docs.masso.com.au/getting-started-guides/machining-with-masso/wi-fi-connectivity

1 Like

Well lets see the router is not even a week old. I would think masso or onefinity would want it to work the way it was advertised. should not have to hang an extension out the back.

I’m thinking about connecting a USB Hub. I thought maybe it would keep the wear and tear down from connecting and disconnecting all the time.

2 Likes

that may work. an extension plugged into the masso controller directly helped me.

2 Likes

https://docs.masso.com.au/getting-started-guides/machining-with-masso/wi-fi-connectivity

Both links to using Masso Link - needed to transfer files wirelessly, and Wi-Fi on the Masso.

My house is a small distance from my workshop. My workshop has no wi-fi, the wi-fi is in the house so wasn’t sure that the connectivity would be great, and I have managed to use Masso link seamlessly to transfer files. I love it, as it stops me running up and down the stairs with my USB (when I forget to take it out). It also allows you to create folders to drop the files into on your Masso to keep things organised.

The Masso has no internal memory. The USB stick is the storage for the files. I had disconnect issues at the start, but used a new\different USB stick and have had zero issues since. It was a Sandisk one, not cheap\cheap, but certainly not expensive.

That being said, if you continue to have issues ALWAYS contact Onefinity support. I live in the UK, they replied to my emails within 15-30 minutes, sometimes less, and had new parts to me (in my hand) in less than 48 hours. They are fantastic.

I know it’s frustrating, but it’s a new launch and there are teething issues, but some perspective is needed and a little bit of trust. I always worried about the support I would receive if something went wrong living further away, and not in North America. How long would it take to replace something if it went wrong, time difference on email support waiting ages for responses?

They have been FANTASTIC both times I have needed them now, and they will be with you too. They will get you sorted, trust me you are in safe hands. I say this as a brand new customer who had no idea or preconceptions about support, apart from people in North America on forums, or YouTube influencers.

2 Likes

Had the same issue. Every few seconds it would disconnect. The usb drive that came with the unit isn’t very snug. Went to Walmart and bought a $5 sandisk usb drive. Works perfectly now.

1 Like