Does someone have a list of all accessories needed for a Journeyman with a recommended water cooled spindle?

I will be purchasing the Journeyman and looking to add a water cooled spindle. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what other accessories they would recommend for this type of set up? The two things I know I will be ordering are the Journeyman and the Journeyman QCW secure from underneath.

1. Which dust boot?

2. Do I use the 1f controller when adding the water cooled spindle or does the water cooled spindle have it’s own controller?

3. Which screen do you recommend?

4. Which software do you recommend?

5. What size water cooler spindle?

6. Anything else you would recommend that I have missed?

Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations.

Brian,
You sure are jumping in with both feet.
I have limited experience. I have made about 200 products
I am using V-Carve Pro and so pleased with it.
I am using a 1500watt water cooled spindle
I am going to a 2.2kw water cooled spindle for the ability to use 1/2” shank tooling.
Your spindle will need aVFD to convert power requirements to operate the spindle and the controller to tell the VFD when to operate the spindle and what speed,of course the controller communicates with the servo mothers to position the bit in the three Directions XY and Z.

I do not know the experiences you bring to the table, you may want to consider doing this in stages,start out with the Mikita trim router and after you have a better grip on all of the variables look at moving to a water cooled spindle.

5 Likes

I just posted about my spindle here 80mm spindle and VFD choices - #85 by WilZirkle

I have not used it yet, but I am very happy with ordering it and getting expert advice on the setup.

If I may jump in this thread
I’m waiting for journeyman to arrive
Wondering about wire length for the additional size for the z axis and the right side y
Is there a need for extensions
Please anyone that knows thank you

It depends on how you’re mounting it. If you’re doing a standard tabletop mount with the controller on the left side, the cables they ship are fine.

You’re also probably okay if you run the Y axis cables under the table.

However, if you’re mounting the controller under the table you may need the extension cables depending on placement.

I built a tilt table like Drew Fisher’s with the controller in a side cabinet and the axis cables running through the axle and inside the torsion box. I needed extension cables. Simple & inexpensive and it means I don’t have to worry about snagging cables.

Perfect thank you very much Mr. Hatch