Dust collector recommendations

I am looking to upgrade my dust collector as my old Delta AP400 is almost dead. I am looking at the Shop Fox models but I am open to other recommendations. It will just be connected to the 1F for now and space is at a premium. The three Shop Fox models I have been considering are the W1826, the W1727 and maybe even the pricier W1666.

Any thoughts? Thank you for your time.

If you’re only using it for the CNC I wouldn’t get a 2hp collector. I have one and it’s really overkill for CNC only but I am planning on using it for all my tools eventually.

I would go with this one from harbor freight and modify it with a cyclone and a canister filter. The dust bags really don’t get you enough filtration.

Something like this. (edit: this is not mine btw.)

3 Likes

I too went with the HF 1HP model. With just my 1F connected it is more than powerful, and have been happy with the purchase.

1 Like

How difficult is it to modify the HF dust collector? It looks like both of you changed it as it doesn’t look like the one you get from HF. Thanks.

Well, the 1HP model I purchased (mid 2021) only came with the wheely bit which is mostly useless, unless you want to play indoor hockey or enjoy a quick amusement ride around the shop?

Not sure about the one GrimResistance showed, it could be an older model or perhaps the 2HP, but I do like how they mounted it; mine is bolted to the steel beam of my house and vibrates throughout when on (even with 2" rubber spacers between the motor and beam).

Basically, all I did was buy some 4" hose, and the dust separator, and I already had the Rubbermaid trash can. The rest for me is stock. And with the Dust Deputy, I only emptied the fine dust bag attached to the motor twice in 2 years. And even then it only had a couple inches at the bottom of the bag.

1 Like

Hey Grimresistance,

nice housing!

And with its induction motor with capacitor start, no hassle with motor noise, ineffectivity and carbon brushes (it has none).

Hey Jake,

they just removed the casters / the frame with the casters and flipped it / and added a Oneida cyclone :slight_smile: