120v Dust Collector enough?

Since I do not have any 220v outlets I only have a 1hp dust collection unit with 4” intake with a mobile base that I had hoped to add a dust deputy and drum to by making a new rolling platform large enough for the dust collector and dust deputy with canister on the same rolling platform.

I can really only run on machine and dust collection at the same time in my small shop so no duct work ran to each machine, I just plan to roll the system from machine to machine as it is used. I only have a 100amp service going to my house and it will cost almost $9,000 to upgrade to 200 amp, new breaker box and separate the garage wiring from the house.

Motor size: 1 HP

Airflow capacity: 800 CFM <—Is this enough air flow?

Impeller size: 10"

Filtration: 1 Micron

Filter size: 14-1/2" x 23-5/8" canister

Intake ports: 1 x 4"

Sound rating: < 85 dB

Overall height: 59"

Shipping weight: 74 lbs.

I would question that CFM flow. I don’t have my 1F yet so I can only offer some insight. I have a much larger dust collector in my shop for the tools that need it. I added a Harbor Freight 1hp dust collector (it looks similar to the second one from the left at Grizzly). It’s extremely quiet. There’s no comparison to a vacuum.

Currently I roll equipment around as needed so even my large DC just gets moved to the tools. I use the small one with my band saw, oscillating spindle sander, wood lathe, chop saw, and even my 8" jointer when doing only a couple boards. It’s my plan to use it with the 1F. I may even get a second one so I can just leave it connected, since they are cheap. Although HF doesn’t have the standard 20% off coupon they still offer them every so often and it’s a brand that isn’t excluded. When I bought it I was about $100 but I’m sure it’s gone up like everything else. I bet you can still get one for well under $150.

1 Like

@EdsCrafts, I am currently using a shop vac +dust deputy on my OF. It makes about 177cfm and it pretty much gets everything off of the work piece and table. I cut a lot of epoxy and that stuff goes everywhere. My system does a decent job to keep it down but when it gets heavy usage it starts to suffer. I have already ordered something larger to upgrade my system so I think what you have should be more than enough to get the job done.

A 1 hp dust collector will do a good job. We have a 1hp on a CNC machine that I use at work and it removes the dust adequately. The Dust Deputy will do a great job of separating out the course material from the very fine dust however it adds to the static pressure losses of the overall system and reduces air flow. The reduction comes from the narrowing of the hose to 2 inch which is the size of the DD ports and the amount of air flow losses resulting from the cyclonic action of the DD. I would consider using the 1 hp dc without the DD.

Doesn’t seem that there is a way around the air flow loss from the cyclone action - but they do have a Dust Deputy with 4" ports. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, That is part of why I asked the original question. If the system I have is strong enough when just used for the CNC then I would buy the 4” dust deputy deluxe with capture drum. If I need to buy a stronger system I will need to pay to add a 220v outlet the new Dust Collector and then decide on the size dust deputy. The Harbor Freight is 110v and seems a viable option. I wonder if I can take the blower from the Harbor Freight and replace the one on the grizzly so I can still use the 1 micron canister filter? Or can you buy JUST the motor/blower part somewhere?

Yes, the Super Dust Deputy has 4” ports.

I’m curious, why do you feel the need for a cyclone separator between the dust collector and the CNC?

It will be on a mobile base and used on my CNC, Planer, Jointer, Sander, table saw and other tools I figured it would help separate dust from larger chips and save wear and tear on the dust collector. Am I thinking wrong! Are secondary cyclones more a fad than a useful item?

Cyclones do a great job of separating chips from fine dust and they help to keep your filters from plugging up so they have a place in our workshops. They work especially well when collecting from a thickness planer or a jointer. These tools create a lot of course chips that can get caught in the impeller guard. A cyclone captures them before they get to the dust collector. The down side is that they slow down air flow so if your dust collector is small, putting a cyclone in the mix can reduce the airflow and result in poor collection at the tool. You can do a calculation of the static pressure losses in your run and compare it to the fan performance curve supplied by the manufacturer to see if you will have enough air flow at the tool. This gets complicated and in my experience you should get reasonable collection if you connect an 800cfm DC and a cyclone to a CNC provided you keep the hoses as short as reasonably possible. If you find that performance is marginal simply bypass the cyclone and connect directly to the DC.

Maybe I should get a dust collector just for the Onefinity and another with secondary for the rest of my machines… man my garage shop just keeps getting smaller lol.