Shop vac or Dust collector

I currently have a big LOUD craftsman shop vac in my shop. It does what its supposed to do and I will continue using it where appropriate, however before my 1F arrives, I’m thinking about getting a small Dustright 650 cfm dust collector to support it. Shop vacs have a lot more suction but dust collectors move more CFM. Is the Dustright overkill for the 1F? should I just use the shopvac I have?

I had a 1hp Harbor Freight dust collector that I would use with my bandsaw and dovetail jig that I’m using. I got my dust boot from Amazon for cheap but it takes a 4" hose (so no reducers). With this set up it’s very quiet and there’s not a hint of dust or woodchips left behind. In fact, right above it, is my kitchen and all you can hear is the slight noise of the bit cutting and a muffled vacuum noise. Even in front of the tool while running you can carry on a conversation at normal voice levels. I’m trying to decide if I should get the 5 micron dust collector back from Rockler or go with the filter and plastic bag. The 30 micron bag that comes stock just doesn’t filter out the fine particles well enough.

Here’s a picture (It’s not finalized yet because I’m waiting for the Journeyman rail to show up.

1 Like

It may be more than you want to spend and overkill if you aren’t doing a lot of other woodworking but after trying to use shop vac for my woodworking for the last five years, I sprung for the Harvey G700 dust processor. It is a horizontal unit so it a lower profile. (I am hoping to build my final table over it). It is also run by a VFD so i can turn it down to a low setting when I am just running the OF and it so quiet.

For me it was either buy the Fien Turbo or get a dust collector that would be able to service a lot of my tools that would benefit from a DC over a vacuum. My Dewalt wet/dry vac is either piercing loud. I’ll be setting up my 1F with a 4” DC hose to the outside of my enclosure and then stepping down to a 2.5” inside the enclosure. We’ll see how it it works. I think as long as I have another port open then stepping down the hose size won’t put too much load on it.