Ejecting USB Thumb Drive

I would like a more user friendly and easier to get to an ejection(un-mounting) button for USB Thumb Drive. Too many problems when re-inserting into a PC after just pull it from Onefinity Controller. The more people concerned about this, might create a fix in future upgrades.

4 Likes

Benny,

Please move this thread to the Feature Enhancement Request thread where it can be evaluated.

-Alex

You can insert the usb into the controller at any timeā€¦ doesnā€™t seem to be any affect on the machineā€¦ as for when your computer wants to scan the thumb driveā€¦ just ignore itā€¦ there is no issue with the driveā€¦ its a windows security thingā€¦

unmounting a drive in a Unix based os is standard practice and would prevent the error Windows nags about. The error may be insignificant, but itā€™s an error none the less.

3 Likes

Agree, and it shouldnā€™t be a blind operation. Meaning it executes but you get no feedback or confirmation that the drive was dismounted successfully. If the dismount operation hangs you wouldnā€™t know and after waiting what you might believe is sufficient time yank the drive while it is trying to close or write to a file youā€™ll have problems.

I get the same problem/error. I see this has been in the mill for over a year. I am guessing when the Onefinity controller opens and reads the toolpath file on the USB drive, the file never gets closed, and this is what Windows is barking about. It is definitely an inconvenience.

1 Like

Hey Brian,

you are right. When linux mounts a FAT or exFAT filesystem, it sets the ā€œdirtyā€ bit and when it is correctly unmounted, clears it. As the Onefinity controller offers no mechanism for the end user to unmount filesystems, the ā€œdirtyā€ bit remains set and Windows complains about the filesystem possibly being corrupted.

If you wait a few seconds after a file write operation before removing the USB drive from the controller, usually there should be no filesystem corruption in most cases. Linux writes out filesystem caches to the media every few seconds. Windows complaining is not to avoid though, except if you eject the media before removing it. You can do this by logging in into a terminal or a ssh and do:

sudo -i
eject /dev/sda1

If /dev/sda1 is your USB drive. You can see what device name your USB drive has by looking at the output of ā€˜mountā€™ command.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like