Newbie Question

I’m transferring files using a USB drive. When I remove the drive from my laptop I know I have to eject it. Do you have to eject it when removing it from the OF control box? If you do, how do you eject it? I transferred a file from my laptop. Was able to run the file on the OF. Pulled the USB out of the OF control box and put it back into my laptop and Windows said there were errors on the drive and had to be repaired. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

No you do not need to, and ever since Windows 10 came out, Microsoft removed the need to “eject” the USB. Yes there is still the option in the taskbar but that is there for the legacy folks who like to keep it old school.

There is no eject feature/function on the OneFinity, it is fine to remove and plug in anytime.

-Alex

1 Like

Microsoft suggests otherwise :stuck_out_tongue:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/safely-remove-hardware-in-windows-10-1ee6677d-4e6c-4359-efca-fd44b9cec369#:~:text=Scroll%20to%20Windows%20Explorer%3A%20Safely,device%2C%20and%20click%20Remove%20device.

1 Like

there is no eject (at this time) from the Onefinity controller. Just yank it out.

1 Like

I stand corrected… :stuck_out_tongue: I had read a few articles online that suggested the contrary but clearly Microsoft’s site is the “Source of Truth” on the subject.

Just goes to show you; “You can’t believe everything you read on the internet” LOL

-Alex

2 Likes

lol. I’m not sure if it HAS to be done…but since they built it…

1 Like

Of course if you look hard enough you will find enough conflicting ms documents to drive yourself batty too :smile:

2 Likes

The whole purpose of “ejecting” a USB stick is to safely unmount the file system, ensuring any open files or file handles are closed properly. Assuming the OS is not actively using the stick and no files are being operated upon, it is “safe” to simply remove the stick. However, you don’t always know when the OS is doing maintenance like writing to the file allocation table or something important like that, which will corrupt your drive if not completed properly. Given the OF is generally just reading from the stick, it is unlikely the controller would be making any change that would corrupt the file system. The same can’t be said of the computer you used to place the file on the stick. Like most things, YMMV.

Seems like a prudent step to add an eject button to the UI or simply use the web interface and avoid using the stick altogether.

-Tom

Thank you very much for all the replies. I understand what to do now. I’m sure there will be more “Newbie” questions as I get my OF up and running.

Thank you so very much for the info,
Todd