EP 16 Onefinity CNC- Let's Break A CNC Machine | Hobby CNC machine CUTS at 1,250 IPM!

We decided we’d try to break one of our ELITE series machines by pushing it to its
absolute limit, just to see what would happen - and the results are astonishing! The test
was simple…
We used one bit (¼” upcut spiral), running the spindle at 24,000 RPMs for the entire
test.
Starting at 100 inches per minute, we cut straight lines along the X-axis, increasing the
feed rate incrementally to see how fast we could get this thing to cut. If you’re surprised,
know that we were just as surprised as you… But not really.

Onefinity CNCs were designed and built to redefine the capabilities of the “hobby CNC”,
and this experiment shows just how powerful and well designed these machines are.
We hit an INSANE feed rate of 1,250 inches per minute (529.17 mm/s), cutting ¼” deep across 24”. Do you know of another machine that can do that? Let us know in the comments!

Bit | https://amzn.to/3VMgD3P
Starbond CA Glue | https://amzn.to/42ltdcK
Onefinity Elite Woodworker | https://www.onefinitycnc.com/product-page/elite-woodworker-32-x32-cut-area

• Please note, speeds shown in this video are not factory settings. Onefinity sets the maximum feedrate to 400IPM from the factory. While we don’t recommend changing any of the F1 settings, it sure is fun trying :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Hmmm … I like the test, but as you say the quality of the cut is questionable. Considering it is a spindle (adjustable RPMs) and you can do the chip loading calcs (really not that hard), Can you tell me what .25" bit you were using (Make/Model) let me see what I can come up with.

I wonder what an engineering test would look like. I will get mine in July so I guess I wait till then :wink:

They linked to the bit on Amazon but the link ends up with a different bit than they used here. On amazon.ca it gave me a SPE downcut and it was clearly an upcut. Maybe if you follow the link they’ll give you the right one.

2 Likes

The bit looks like a 1/4" O-flute bit. They’re made to lift the chips up out of the cut better and I think they are usually used primarily for aluminum and plastics.
Something like this one:
Amazon.com: SpeTool Single Flute (O Flute) Spiral End Mill Aluminum Cutter Carbide Router 1 inch Cutting Length with 1/4Inch Shank for Aluminum Acrylic PVC MDF Plastic : Musical Instruments

Do you realize, at 24,000 rpm and 1,250 inches per minute feed rate, the bit is doing only 19.2 revolutions per inch. No wonder the cut was rough.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see the inches per minute range with some of the slower cuts to see where it peaks with most of the cut at the same speed.

It would be awesome to run this test with a greater depth of cut, cutting a large circle, and on a foreman where the span is the maximum available. That’d give a lot more time at 100% feed compared to maxing out cut lengths in purely the x-direction on a woodworker.

Either way, good on 1F for doing things like this. I’d venture to say most other companies are too afraid of posting anything remotely close to this type of content!

3 Likes

The video was shared in a shapeoko group and theres someone there who is going to TRY to mimic the test and compare results. That someone seemed determined to try but he was talking about wanting to match acceleration rates and not peak feed rates. I told him that peak acceleration was roughly less than 12" to 1250ipm.

2 Likes

Would be interesting to see what the Shapeoko 5 would max out at…

He was saying top speed in carbide motion was 275ipm (which makes sense, they throttle the machine in that program [both speed and travel]), then he said it was “slow” to accelerate when it hit 1250 in less than 12"… i don’t get his defense on how that’s “slow”

Yes torque vs power but if you can only reach 30mph your not going to win in the quarter mile vs a car that can go 100 doesnt matter if your first off the line once you top out and they’ve got more juice, its over.

1 Like

Winston was making arguably the best hobby CNC videos using Carbide products for years before they grabbed him, it was a smart move on their part and upped their content significantly. He was indirectly helping them sell products, although one of his videos where his v-wheels failed during a project influenced my decision to buy Onefinity.

I agree the “how fast can it go” testing and the max speeds achieved aren’t practical given the cut quality that was achieved but it does demonstrate the torque of the closed loop stepper motors is sufficient for more normal cutting speeds and forces given it didn’t cause the stepper motors stall or go into alarm state.

1 Like