Flattening waste board

my Onefinity is assembled, and I think ready to go.I lowered the bracked to lowest level and added surfacing bit. What next? Is there a file already made to surface waste board? or do I need to make one? I have fusion 360 and can design but what program do I use to convert into G code and learn how to do tool paths. Kinda of a lost newbie and need help.

3 Likes

Hey, just wondering if you ever got any replies to your post? I just finished assembling my Onefinity as well, and am in the same boat you were when you made this post. I’m not sure what to do next.

1 Like

Are you using Fusion 360 as well?
If you are you need to install the post for Onefinity. You can get it here:
Fusion 360 Post

Just finished making a wasteboard program in VCarve for my Journeyman. I bought my machine a year ago. I worked off-and-on building a table, adding accessories, and finally got back to this. I am a CNC novice, first time VCarve user, etc. Thought this would be a good learning challenge. After some trial and error, the program ran just fine.

Here are some key facts: (Journeyman is mounted on QCW Frame, secure from above, w/ 3/4" MDF spoilboards)

1. Job size was set at X = 48.0 and Y = 32.0 as I had limitations on my table design. You could make the Y axis larger. All readings Imperial (inches).

2. XY datum point selected was the lower left corner. Important setting here as upper corner selections throw your ‘boundry box’ into error territory. If you can see the job diagram on your monitor, you will see what I mean. My XYZ zero point was top left corner.

3. My Whiteside Waste board Cutter 1", model 6210 was not in the associated VCarve tool list. So, I used the ‘1/2" End Mill’ as my ‘selected’ bit in the software. The specs were close enough to understand that; a) my XYZ zero point could be 1/2" off, b) my cutting width could be off by 1/2", c) the bit RPM would be set on the Makita router to meet the Whiteside specs. Depth of cut was set at .075.

4. I spent hours in the design area selecting line patterns, setting vectors, and checking dimensions. Only to find that, in the toolpath area, the Pocket Tool Path icon has pre-set vectors and settings (select offset and conventional) that create a cutting pattern well suited to flattening. This saves you loads of time and toolpath effort. Still, the result is a 1/2" cut which is not very efficient use of this cutter, but results are smooth. Simulation looked good, so I saved that path and imported the toolpath (.ngc) file to the Journeyman.

5. This cutter/bit fits right thru the plastic insert that comes with the Suck-it Pro. Positioned correctly, the fine MDF dust was contained very well on my vacuum system. Hope it works as well on other projects.

6. Beginners will want to make sure they save the toolpath file while working in the toolpath window(s). It is an (.ngc) file that your CNC will recognize. I started a separate file on my computer just for G code files.

Below is the VCarv (.crv ) file I created. This will give you a design (.crv) and toolpath (.ngc) file to work from. I am sure there are many improvements more experienced users could make to this file. I hope it is useful for beginners like me.

Spoilbaord Journeyman Whiteside 6210.crv (60 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you for all this. I bought some files off Etsy, well a lot of them and a waste board program was one of them. Do I have to add the vectors and tool paths? I’m sorry, I hate asking. I’ve been watching You Tube and it seems I’m missing on how to do that part. Also I’m noticing that only some of the files Ive purchased aren’t saving over to my controller. Maybe I’m not looking correctly? I’m using the free version VCarve Pro. I was hoping to get at least familiar with the Journeyman before I bought software.