Spoilboard HELP!

Is there a program out there available for a newbie to surface the wasteboard?

What speeds and depths should be used.

I have 3/4 MDF on a foreman elite with the QCW Frame. I have about 1/2” available to surface.

I would need step by step instructions or maybe a YouTube video

Any help would be great!!

Thank you all in advance……

2 Likes

Hey Dan,

there a lot of people that published files for that purpose, you can use the search function to search for combinations of “flattening”, “surfacing” “wasteboard” “spoilboard” and “file”.

The manufacturer offers these support videos:

By the way, be sure that before flattening the wasteboard, you made the two checks for rectangularity (“squaring”) and coplanarity (that machine is not twisted) (e.g. with the two fishing lines method) as explained here, as flattening the wasteboard can remedy none of them. Especially the check for coplanarity, as the result would be twisted workpieces.

As the file for surfacing the entire workarea will work exactly to the limits of the workarea, if you don’t probe at the exact required position (be it front left corner or center of the workarea, according to where you set your workpiece zero in your 3D model), you may get a limit error. In this case, don’t worry, but just re-probe to the exact required position.

See also:

3 Likes

So on the QWC frame I should still check for squareness? If not square how does one fix that?

Thanks for the info as well. Most definitely look into it

1 Like

Hey Dan,

that is a problem. I don’t know yet. It is expected to be square. Still have to check that it is since I did not yet assemble it.

The good thing adjusting the coplanarity (twist) can be adjusted with the Any Surface Leveling system. Did you get it with the QCW frame? Since it is now part of QCW frame, this is the big advantage of the QCW frame: The ability to remove any twist.

1 Like

Yes I got the foreman and the frame. When I assembled it all the holes lined up. I placed two bolts on the outside of the y frame finger tight in the front and move the x rail all the way back and dropped two bolts in the back and it was perfectly aligned with the screw holes

I will check for squareness

1 Like

I think there are many ways. What software are you using? Google that and waste/spoilboard.

I use VCarve Pro, and i’m a bit slap-dash: create a pocket the size of your wasteboard plus the diameter of your cutter in each direction. Pocket out using an offset setting. Use the centre and top of your board as home. 50% stepover should be sufficient.

I’m a bit of a whimp so I run seperate runs at about 2mm depth of cut until the whole board gets surfaced (dropping z home by 2mm each time).

You may need to tweak your pocket size (smaller) if you get overcutting warnings.

Tramming may be necessary if you can feel ridges when running your fingernails over the board.

Remember to use Dust Collection, especially with MDF. It’s a mare.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy greatly appreciated and I agree with the MDF advice. Cutting the spoil board to size was a very dusty affair to say the least

1 Like