Forum introduction's

I bought a really nice AC unit for the garage. It does a good job for the most part. . . It’s the 110deg plus days that make it difficult. My work around is 5AM and 11PM laser time slots lol

I should have purchased the pro series cause of the better cooling system. Who knows? Perhaps ill traid up in the future?

Kevin here, in Minnesota. By day I work in healthcare, but my hobbies involve all things digital and mechanical. I cut my nerd teeth following the RepRap/Prusa 3D printing development, and am wanting to learn more about CNC manufacturing and CAM programming. I was beginning to collect parts for a home-brew CNC build when the OF preorder was announced, and I thought it looked far more robust than anything I could put together from an Arduino and aluminum extrusion.

I have moderate woodworking skills with cheap tools, I’m pretty good at sewing, and I can weld poorly. My strong suit is in working with advanced composite materials to make lightweight boats and sporting equipment. I am excited to use the Onefinity to learn, and to make parts for various other projects. I’m always trying to teach my two young kids how to make things, so that they can learn to develop grand ideas and explore the capacity of their imagination using practical skills.

3 Likes

Frank here in Western New York. Worked in IT for a long time. Got my Shapeoko XXL last year May like @CrazyCasey. Just sold last week, don’t have the room for two CNC units. I’m #85 in the queue can’t want to get the new unit. My son Tom who is now 8 has learning how to use inkscape because he wants to make some signs also.
I have learned a lot from watching others and lots of trial and error. @MyersWoodshop has been a big help showing what do and sometime what not do do. I’m been getting my garage reworked putting up insulation and have to make my table bigger. Also getting wood prepared for carving and getting all the files set ready to loaded. Excited to see what we can do with this new system.

1 Like

Good afternoon OF Family!

I am complete novice to CNC and any of the software required to run CNC, but I have love for woodworking. I wanted to make things with wood when I was child but never really had the means to learn. As a child I use to watch a carpenter make furniture and it always amused me (it was in Pakistan, all furniture was hand made, no machines). So, just two years ago I bought a router and decided to pursue my hobby and made my first plaque. Since then I fell in love with my dream again. So, now that I could afford a CNC, I bought one to learn and continue my hobbies to make stuff and gift to friends… I live in California now and am a full time Prison Guard.

3 Likes

Turns out all this time my Glowforge had bad optics and a few bad electronic components. They paid to ship it back and are repairing $589.40 worth of Electronics and Optics… so all my complaining for 2 years that my alignment was off since day 1 seems to be legitimized.

I’m glad they made the exception to fix it for me, shipping back to GF post warranty is $600 for both directions and $4500 in insurance. YIKES! They split the cost with me, so for a total of $300 I got my GF Pro cleaned, and all the electronics/optics replaced… not bad. :slight_smile:

Now just waiting for them to ship it back, my desk has a sad void in it right now.

1 Like

Sad that there was a real problem but glad they are fixing it.

1 Like

Matt from Mattawan, MI. I’m a test & validation engineer for an automotive supplier, and I also write LabVIEW software (I have a CS degree). I’m big into Jeeps and Jeeping, which takes up most of my time, but if I manage to retire before I die, I’m trying to assemble a collection of the most awesome retiree toys known to man (in addition to my Jeep collection). In the last couple of years I’ve put together a high-end woodshop, and earlier this year, I bought a CNC plasma cutter (Langmuir Crossfire Pro). Now I have the itch for a CNC router. Unfortunately, I just missed out on the pre-order for the Onefinity, but after watching videos and researching, I think it’s definitely worth the wait.

3 Likes

Greetings OF folks. I’m Jay from the beautiful and currently kinda toasty Phoenix valley - Surprise specifically. I’ve had several careers starting as a Naval Aviator and moving on to law enforcement, attorney and finally an instructor and project manager for a large airplane manufacturer in the northwest. I’ve always had my hands in hobby woodworking and have looked at CNC 3D carving for years so when I saw Bens videos on the Onefinity I decided to take the plunge. Don’t know yet if it will keep me out of the bars or send me to them. We shall see. Like everything else, it will be an interesting voyage of exploration.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and OneFinity family!

1 Like

Hey all, Mark here from Annapolis, MD. Ive been woodworking for a while and work as a carpenter in the maritime industry. This will be my first CNC. I don’t have any experience with these machines so I am very excited to see what it can do for me. In the meantime while I wait I have been building a flip up style cnc table in order to save space in the garage. Other than that I’ve been gathering other accessories I see necessary and adding to the seemingly endless list of projects I’d like to tackle with this machine.

2 Likes

Welcome Sir! There are several of us here that are new to CNC woodworking, you’ll fit right in.

1 Like

Hello all, my name is Bill, and I live in SW Michigan. I’ve been an x-carve user for 3 years, and have heavily modified it with screw drive, linear rails, and a heavy-duty custom base. It’s been a great machine, but once I saw the Onefinity, it became obvious that was the machine for me. My only customization at this point is to create a custom base for it much like the one for my x-carve. I don’t actually cut much wood, I mostly work with vinyl flooring, Corian, HDPE sign material, etc. I’m looking to do the same with the 1F. This is a recent project on the x-carve. I’m not hugely artistic like so many people are, that do beautiful carves & equally beautiful painting & finishing. 95% of my work is simple 2.5D work. I’m a machinist & tool designer by trade.

3 Likes

Hello all. I’m Rob from upstate NY. Been woodworking since I moved up here from The city 7 years ago. Took it up as a hobby to teach myself some skills to be able to do stuff around the house. City born and raised and always lived in apartments or co-ops so always had a maint man around. This is my first house and figured out real fast that DIY is a lot cheaper than hiring handymen. Retired Speech-language Pathologist with lots of time to indulge in my hobby. Trying to learn all I can about Cad/Cam and whatever else I need to learn before my OF arrives in December - order 876. Have been really enjoying this forum and all the awesome folks who post and reading your backgrounds. Looking forward to this journey with you guys.

@sghawley Hi Steve I’m also in the Mid-Hudson Valley in Marlboro just over the bridge. I am brand new to CNC so would love to buy you a cup of coffee sometime and pick your brain, while appropriately social distancing and wearing PPE of course. Let me know if it’s cool to shoot you my email.

1 Like

check out @OnefinityCNC, bringing people together and building friendships. Priceless :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hi Roberto, nice to hear someone nearby also purchased the Onefinity. Mine is scheduled to be delivered today. Still need to build my table and make room, so it may be a few weeks before it is setup. I’d be happy to get together for a cup of coffee and discuss our hobby. Busy for the next few weeks, so maybe early October. By then I should be up and running. Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 Like

@sghawley You lucky dog. Enjoy it! Would love to hear about your experiences once you have it set up. Keep in touch.

Hi All. Jimmy from Central Massachusetts. My OF CNC will be my first. I have an Epilog Fusion M2 Dual source laser. I know zero about CNC, and negative numbers about the software.
I’ll be looking for lots of help come December delivery time.

I’d love to see someone start with a very simple tutorial. Draw a box in say Aspire, and pick a tool, set it up, and cut it out. Has anyone seen a simple A-to-Z video? If so, send it my way.

1 Like

Vectric has a series of “Getting Started” videos, and Mark Lindsey has a couple of YouTube series for beginners. That’s where I’m spending my time!

2 Likes

Hello all, Charley Thomas from Triquetra CNC here. I have been involved in wood working in one form or another since I was in the 6th grade. My Father was a home builder and each summer my brother and I would help him build a house. We did this every summer until I graduated High School and enlisted in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic retiring in 1992. I started out working on B-52 bombers in North Carolina and finished up with the RC-135 Reconnaissance aircraft based at Offutt AFB, Omaha NE. I used to tease my Dad telling him that I have been to more countries than he as states.

In 2001 I returned to my home town of Denison Texas where I live now with my lovely wife Linda. I got my first CNC machine in 2015 as part of the pre order of the X Carve. I have modified that machine so much that in now sports a decal giving it the new name of EX-Carve.

I made my first 3 axis touch plate out of necessity. My vision is not the greatest. Maybe too much jet fuel in the face, or maybe broken glass I had blown in my eyes, or just maybe they are getting old!? I just found it difficult to set a repeatable X Y Z zero so I figured out a way, hence, the Triquetra Touch Plate was born in early 2016. Now I am also making the OneFinity Touch Plates. I own my EX-Carve CNC, a PM727 Milling machine that I converted to CNC, a Tormach 1100M CNC Milling machine, and most recently the AMAZING OneFinity Woodworker version. The PM 727 is parked for now but I use the other three daily.

In my spare time I am currently working on a Windows application that will generate 3 axis zeroing codes for use with the OneFinity to provide more zeroing options such as zeroing to a round blank, zeroing to the right front corner, or setting any offset origin you define. I should have it finished in a couple of days.

9 Likes

Hey there ladies and gents, I’m Allen from southwestern Virginia. I’m an electrical engineer by day and cannot sit still at night,so therefore I make things in my free time. I’m mostly into woodworking, though I use my 3D printer frequently to make jigs, enclosures and other such things. I do a little bit of metalwork as well.

I’ve researched and waited now for almost 4 years to buy a CNC. I feel like the wait and research was worth it since this OneFinity looks like the hardware I’ve really wanted. I’m expecting my machine in December/January based on my order number, and so now I have a few months to prepare an area and learn as much as I can.

I hope to contribute to this forum, as I’m sure I’ll be learning much from all of you experts in here. It’s great to build a community of diverse, yet like-minded people to share ideas and help troubleshoot. This forum seems to be off to a great start in that regard already!

Cheers!
@acnailedit

5 Likes