Fusion 360 Setup

I’d love to see a video or document on setting up Fusion 360 for using the Elite.

This may be of interest as a starting point - Create a Custom Machine Configuration in Fusion 360 for Hobbyist CNC | Shapeoko, X-Carve, LongMill - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks! That was the first video I watched on the topic. Kevin’s videos are excellent.

I’m not sure if or how the dual Y axis steppers affect the configuration. I wonder if more configuration is required than selecting a 3 axis machine to modify like in this video.

What is your main goal for wanting to configure the machine?
I initially set up my Woodworker, but to be honest I never select it in my F360 CAM.

Great question! I haven’t actually used any G-code produced by Fusion’s CAM yet. I’m not sure what adding the machine and selecting it actually gets me other than a visual of the machine footprint. My main goal is to have Fusion 360 produce G-code that will work on the Elite. I do have a rotary that I’m planning to attach as well. I’d assumed that Fusion would need to know about the machine’s configuration in order to properly generate G-code for it. Maybe that’s a bad assumption?

For me I was more concerned about the tool information being accurate, and also appropriate for my machine - the 2.2Kw spindle is not terribly powerful, and the Woodworker has a fair amount of flex compared to other ‘mill like’ machines - so filling in feeds and speeds for the tools/tool paths are important. I also made/modeled my ISO tool holders (I couldn’t find them available in a F360 database), and added these to my tools, so collisions could be detected should I make an error in my CAM. I plan to make smaller items, so having the machine boundaries known by F360 is less important to me as well.

You don’t need a machine in Fusion at all. The G-Code compiler you select is the crux of the matter insofar as code configuration is concerned.

Ok. I have configured the Masso post processor. However, I’m not sure I have it all set correctly. Is there documentation for how to set that up with the Elite?

Care to share the Masso settings you found most impactful? Thanks