Get information over API - home assistant dashboard

Hey wanoo,

Onefinity one day for their machine forked some version of the Buildbotics.com controller and as far as I have seen, while the Original Buildbotics.com Controller evolved some way [1], [2], Onefitity showed no attempts to backport things from upstream (like the requested feature “macros”), so I would not wait on anything being backported. They seem to make more own development recently though, as the work on a 2.x for the Raspi 4. (The Original Buildbotics.com system can be built on a Raspi 4). Also the package ‘onefinity-firmware’ is not packed as ‘deb’ so cannot be upgraded (except by overwriting the installation by unpacking the tarball) (and especially can not be downgraded with ‘apt-get install onefinity-firmware=[older_version]’) that’s why they tell the users to overwrite the whole OS on the SD card that often :frowning:

The underlying Raspbian OS on the SD image is a historic OS version from 2017 and you cannot upgrade it simply as you are used to on a Debian system without turning your controller into a brick. This is because already the Original Buildbotics controller is still in large parts in a dirty-hack style. The crucial bbserial.ko module (which implements the communication between the Raspi and the AVR microcontoller) is hardwired to some ancient kernel version and not available as DKMS (at least the last time I had a look at it), so a kernel upgrade will break the system.

Maybe you know how that comes: you develop a really cool thing and at one moment, it works, and then you do other things.

If I would rely on the Buildbotics as your CNC controller and wanted to contribute or expand its capabilities, I would use the original Buildbotics.com system in its most recent version and get in contact with the developer.

2 Likes