Has anyone else considered drag chains?

@RowdyRoman and @muddyfeet Please can we get these as a kit to purchase. Absolutely brilliant!

Just received my new Coil wires from CoilCableSpecialits. TOP NOTCH Product, the spring in them is better than anything I’ve bough on Amazon.

Could not be happier, going to chop up my router cord this weekend and get rid on one more droopy cord. :slight_smile:

-Alex

6 Likes

Y Bracket is updated on the full drag chain setup. This will eliminate bending wires around the orginal Y bracket.

4 Likes

Alex- great to hear! You’ll have to post some pics when completed

1 Like

Are the J Tech Laser cables along with the extensions long enough to fit through both drag chains from the controller?

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

For anybody wanting to know,I have been informed that the cables including the extensions are of 10foot in length

Mr. MuddyFeet,
I thank you sir for these great files that you designed and made available to us, I have printed the files and now want to assemble , my question isif I purchase the wire extensions from onefinity which ones and how many should I buy, please help sir, ty

1 Like

Paul, sorry for late reply. Yes the laser extension cables will fit throughout the entire both drag chain and still have about few feet available to run to controller.

I have a question for Mitz. Could you tell me what size hole you cut for the wires coming out of the drag chain and the size of the hole for the Y1 cable? I won’t get my machine for a month but I’m trying to get my table ready. Thanks.

1 Like

1-1/4” dia hole in front of drag chain For x,z and router and 9/16” dia hole for Y1 cable

1 Like

For all of those who have asked to show the conversion of the Makita router cord over to the Coil cord… the wait is finally over. (I know the anticipation has been unbearable) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://forum.onefinitycnc.com/t/upgrade-makita-router-with-coil-spring-cord/1628/2

-Alex

4 Likes

Someone is selling custom made raceway mounts for drag chain on Etsy…

Hi Tony, here is the link.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/895696963/onefinity-cnc-complete-drag-chain-setup?ref=hp_opfy-5

2 Likes

OK, a quick question. On the coil cables to replace the router table cord, what is the difference in the regular ends and the tangent ends? I’ve never seen this designation before.

1 Like

I spoke to them on this exact question. It only refers to the orientation of the cable as it exits the coil. For our application it does not matter which one you choose. BUT if you were manufacturing a part you may want the cord to come out of the coil and lay straight vs you might need it to come out of the coil mid coil.

Again for our application it does not matter at all. I bought both “being on the safe side” and trust me either would have worked just fine. I just randomly grabbed the first one out of the bag and used it. Then in looking back at the comparison, would have made zero difference.

-Alex

3 Likes

Thanks Alex for the response

I’m considering getting the Creality Ender 3 V2 mentioned above by Greg to print these parts. Does anyone have an estimate for how much filament is needed and maybe a link to the spool they purchased? Also where is everyone getting their angle aluminum extrusion from? Thanks

1 Like

Donnovan,

That is more of a complex question regarding the Filament. It totally depends on what you are printing. If you are just using ABS which is strong and good for a lot of things I have great luck with this:

However there is PLA, TPU and many many more. ABS is a little stinky to print with so while its strong if I need to print somethink like endcaps etc I use PLA and there are a billion colors to choose from.

As far as how much filament is used that is entirely dependent on the print. Your software should show you how many grams are used. But Infill, Supports, Support Pattern, Wall thickness will all alter how much is use and that is something you set every file you print and not incorporated in the .stl (typically).

If you’re new to 3DP there is a bit of a learning curve like all things, its not as simple as load file and hit the print button. That Ender is a great printer, however I would highly suggest (as in all things) you do your research on how the software works, machine functions etc.

I do not want to discourage you in any way (total opposite) I just want you to go in “eyes wide open” its not a HP laserjet that you just hit print and boom you have something.

Hope that is helpful.

-Alex

1 Like

Check out the 3D Printing Professor or Chuck Hellebuyck if you want good info on the Ender. Joel Telling or Tom Sanlanderer have great info on the Prusa.

-Tom

2 Likes