Help figuring out issue?

Hey guys… small issue. My bit is above my work piece by 1.25 mm and I don’t know why. I’m only cutting out 2D shapes right now so this isn’t a major issue but I want to solve it eventually. As of now I just either add extra depth drops or literally lower the bit by about a mm or so.
EMG6STRINGPICKUPV4.nc (1.0 KB)

What software are you using to create the file as well as providing some description of the steps involved in the carve will be helpful for your request. That said though, I’d look for an off-set setting somewhere in the creation of the G-code.

Hi Steve,

I see from the code you are using Fusion. I’m thinking the issue will be how you are setting your Z origin. Are you clicking on a model point or a stock point? Is the stock 1.25mm or more above the model?
The code takes the first pass at 1.25mm above Z0. So Fusion thinks thinks there is material above Z0 to cut. This usually happens to me when I pick a point on the model for my Z0 but the stock is set to add some material above the top of the model.

1 Like

Yes i think this might be the issue. When Im setting the model all I have is a simple 2D thing I then trace. I was putting that 2d shape at the bottom or under the stock top under the assumption that the bit would dig into the stock that way. But what I’m assuming now that is wrong from your info. I need the 2D model on top of the stock and then just select multiple depths?
Sorry for the simple questions I’m new to this and have yet to take a class

I think this might be it or something like that. Like I accidentally put an automatic Z offset by putting the 2D shape under the stock top, or at least thats the current theory im going to test

1 Like

I’m either doing something else wrong or this isn’t it. Heres a screenshot of what happens with the tool path when I put the model at the top of the stock material.

Are you willing to share your fusion file? I will be able to get an answer real quick that way.

Yes just let me figure out how to do that

Fusion Does this work? I tried moving the model part down to the bottom and top of the stock. Best results are from the stock bottom but I still cant get the tool path to cut all the way through. Im 100% sure this issue is user error on my part but I’m not sure where to begin just yet

Hi Steve,

No that didn’t work.
Here is what you do: In Fusion with your model in question opened - click on File then Export:

Then in the Export box leave it as a .f3d file and just make sure you see what location it is going to export it to:

Then drop it in your next reply here. I will look at it today.

I’m not even getting that option available, only the .F3z… lol I might need to go back and start from square one with a tutor or something

I just looked it up - An F3Z file is a ZIP file that contains one or more F3D files.
I expect the .f3z file will be ok. It is a zipped file of the .f3d.
Just drop the .f3z here and I will try it.