Hoisting my onefinity jourenyman elite to the ceiling when not in use

My boat wench made me sell the boat and move into a house.

2 Likes

ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUb-Qscfdw&t=323s

I too live in Ontario and I needed and did the same thing. I used an electric winch and a pulley system to lift my cnc to the ceiling. works great. I made a shitty youtube video to show it off. hope it helps!

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the info! That’s how I intend to lift it. My basic concern was whether the ceiling joists could handle the weight. My machine weighs 150 lbs and the table weighs 150 lbs, so 300 lbs suspended from the ceiling was what my concern was. I need to beef up my ceiling joists to be able to do what you have there. I have a lot work ahead of me.

Frank

Woodhead Frank, I am up against the same issue. How did yours turn out? I am going to use unistruts spanning 4 2X6 bottom cord manufactured trusses. I’m going to add additional blocking to distribute the weight. Not sure at this point what lift system I will be using, The Racor type is now out of distribution so looking into Harbor Freight etc. Phil’s advice was great. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I just finished bracing the garage ceiling to the bedroom floor above it. I ripped out the plywood from the bedroom floor, squeezed my fat a** between the garage ceiling and the bedroom floor and bolted 2x6’s between the floor and the ceiling, essentially making giant trusses. I’m quite confident that with that bracing, an 800lb capacity winch, and 4 3/16" wire ropes strung from my CNC table up to 4 pulleys. One on each corner. The four 3/16" wire ropes exit the pulleys and are attached to a steel square tube draw bar. Then, in the middle of the draw bar, the winch wire rope is attached to the draw bar. The winch will be mounted on the wall. When I get it finished I’ll post a short video and if you have any questions, I’ll try and help with whatever I can. I should have it operational within a week.
Frank

1 Like

Thanks Frank, I will look forward to your video.

1 Like

Are you sure? The machine itself is probably about 100 pounds. is your table made of steel?

My machine weighs 150 lbs (according to Onefinity) and my table is made of 1 x 2 thick walled rectangular steel tube. It has 2 pieces of 3/4" maple plywood and a 3/4" mdf spoilboard. It’s 72" x 48" and weighs about 200lbs. Originally the table was 62" x 48". Then I extended it to 72". The table has no flex and it is super flat. It was MIG welded on a perfectly flat welding table.

1 Like

Hi Scott, here is the video link on youtube. I still have some loose ends to tie up. Like a brace for the draw bar to rest on when I disconnect the cables and roll my machine to where I want it. Because if I disconnect the cables the bar wants to drop obviously. I have a solutiion, and I’ll post about when I implement it.
I also have to complete the safety system to prevent the machine from crushing my skull if it were to drop from the raised position, and install a LED light on the underside of the table

1 Like

Thanks, great video. I can see some of your challenges. I have a few of my own.