How long will original controller be available

Hey Forrest,

If you take into account the above, this answers your question a little better.

Orange Pi (and the many others small single-board computers) support various operating systems. I would run armbian OS on it. Debian runs on it too (Debian on Allwinner)

besides the reasons mentioned above why I don’t want to use the Raspberry Pi, the unavailability of a platform is probably already a killer criterion :slight_smile:

Why the Raspberry Pi <= 3 is slow

But seriously, to explain the reasons mentioned above a little better: The Raspberry Pi <=3 has a strange internal structure:

As you can see above, on Raspberry Pis <3, it is not the ARM CPU that controls the computer, but a chip that is called VideoCore IV. And the drivers and firmware to control this chip are proprietary and you’ll have to get it as closed-source binaries from the Raspberry Pi Foundation Server. These do not come from the Raspberry Pi OS server.

Now if you just want to run the bbmc application (=the Onefinity Controller application), I see no reason why you would have to forcibly use a Raspbery Pi. All you have to make sure is that the application can talk to the Onefinity AVR mainboard over a serial line and that you can program the two AVR chips on the board - which is mainly not really different to what many people know from writing a program into their Arduino from their PC.

By the way, the Obsolescence Statement of the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is it will remain in production until at least January 2026. If someone is willing to produce it :slight_smile:

Today many manufacturers question whether ARM is the future. Some rethink their focusing on ARM because you need licenses to produce an ARM-based chip. Meanwhile there exist platforms that are open hardware like RISC-V: No licenses necessary… More and more chip manufacturers are becoming interested in the new platform. While RISC-V first appeared in small single-board computers and developer boards such as those from SiFive (e.g. here), now in December 2022 Ventana microsystems introduced a RISC-V for data centers with sixteen cores, the Veyron V1… But SiFive also plans big…