How long will original controller be available

Hey Forrest, hey all,

you see how it works:

Onefinity_Controller_Schematics_rev5_power_shutdown_circuitry
– Source: https://github.com/OneFinityCNC/onefinity-pcb/raw/master/Schematics/onefinity-cnc-rev5.pdf

+5VSB comes from the voltage regulator, +5V goes to circuit. Simple and effective.

By the way here you also see how to set the controller to “always on” (to workaround the new “power pushbutton” version not going on when switching on a power strip): Put a jumper on J18.

Note: This works only since Onefinity Controller revision 5!

1 Like

Hey Forrest,

If you take into account the above, this answers your question a little better.

Orange Pi (and the many others small single-board computers) support various operating systems. I would run armbian OS on it. Debian runs on it too (Debian on Allwinner)

besides the reasons mentioned above why I don’t want to use the Raspberry Pi, the unavailability of a platform is probably already a killer criterion :slight_smile:

Why the Raspberry Pi <= 3 is slow

But seriously, to explain the reasons mentioned above a little better: The Raspberry Pi <=3 has a strange internal structure:

As you can see above, on Raspberry Pis <3, it is not the ARM CPU that controls the computer, but a chip that is called VideoCore IV. And the drivers and firmware to control this chip are proprietary and you’ll have to get it as closed-source binaries from the Raspberry Pi Foundation Server. These do not come from the Raspberry Pi OS server.

Now if you just want to run the bbmc application (=the Onefinity Controller application), I see no reason why you would have to forcibly use a Raspbery Pi. All you have to make sure is that the application can talk to the Onefinity AVR mainboard over a serial line and that you can program the two AVR chips on the board - which is mainly not really different to what many people know from writing a program into their Arduino from their PC.

By the way, the Obsolescence Statement of the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is it will remain in production until at least January 2026. If someone is willing to produce it :slight_smile:

Today many manufacturers question whether ARM is the future. Some rethink their focusing on ARM because you need licenses to produce an ARM-based chip. Meanwhile there exist platforms that are open hardware like RISC-V: No licenses necessary… More and more chip manufacturers are becoming interested in the new platform. While RISC-V first appeared in small single-board computers and developer boards such as those from SiFive (e.g. here), now in December 2022 Ventana microsystems introduced a RISC-V for data centers with sixteen cores, the Veyron V1… But SiFive also plans big

for those of us not cognizant of the PI ins and outs may i just say

3 Likes

I don’t speak tech very well do I ?

1 Like

Hey Robert,

feel free to ask if you are interested in some aspects discussed here!

However it’s midnight in central Europe, cannot reply today anymore!

1 Like

I knew that cheeky ‘P’ word was somewhere in this worldwide digital drama, just not exactly where.

And, that is exactly what a Pi is perfect at doing. However, what about a controller board for a 3D printer? I have 4 printers and 7 boards in total. They all run an open source firmware called Marlin which I heard has been used for CNC and Plasma robots as well. They all have 32-bit controllers, basic LCD display support (good enough for a pendant device), minimum x4 and I have one with x8 TMC2209 stepper drivers which support “Stallguard” homing (or homing switch connectors for all axis if desired) and 2A RMS (2.8A peak). I thought my Kill-A-Watt was showing about 4-6A total pull from my Woodworker under operation, but not sure if the 1F peak demand will be too much for any one of these drivers.

Still waiting for my Kickstarter flux capacitor to arrive.

I am interested in it a lot, but just like string theory and quantum mechanics I understand very little of it:) but i keep listening in spite of it being mostly greek to me.

That would be something I would like to be able to do with my machine. That is change over to the Masso system.

If a Masso upgrade is made available for my X-50 purchased in September 2022, my current controller form buildbotics will be for sale…if you’re interested. I know this doesn’t answer your question - a question I share with you.

Well I thank you for the offer and ask when the masso upgrade comes around if you could remind me of the offer and of course what the price would be, the price of the old controller that you’ll be offering, and the price of the masso upgrade will determine my answer , thank you God bless