X50 experience and tips

Hey Pony,

this is a known issue.

That is probably one of the reasons why with Version 5 of the Onefinity Controller, the power switch is now a push-button (with additional circuitry onboard) which replaced the rocker switch of the Version 4. The additional circuitry that does this looks like this. You can still add a rocker switch to J18 in case you want to power the controller on with a power strip (would not work otherwise with the new power pushbutton).

A good solution if you don’t have the machine in an enclosure (and the controller outside of it) or no powerful enough dust collection is to enclose the controller in a case with a fan and a pleated polyester filter. I would use a fan of at least 120 mm size as larger fans which don’t run that fast so aren’t that noisy (and I would use a PWM control for the fan). The fan in the Onefinity controller is the first thing I disconnected as its noise is absolutely unbearable (but I run the Onefinity controller open in the lab for testing purposes, not on a machine). For the Onefinity controller I would make a 120 mm hole into its top plate and put a 120 mm fan that exhausts to the top. That would 1. reduce noise 2. prevent that the Raspberry Pi is in a location inside the controller box that is not much ventilated and 3. possibly leave a big enough hole in the faraday cage to make the WiFi connection work better! (since unfortunately, unlike the Orange Pi, the Raspberry Pi has no connector for an external WiFi antenna)

1 Like