How to do an outline

Won’t have my machine until the beginning of June but I am watching just about CNC video out there. I saw Mark Lindsay do an outline of the maximum space his CNC could do by using a mini-marker in his collet. Of course he had a larger spindle which had a 1/2" collet.

Is there an easy way to have the machine do the outline, without a V bit to cut into the table, so the area is defined and the spoil board can be put in the outline?

Thanks,
Pete

1 Like

I have yet to receive my machine (due to arrive this Tuesday). My thought was to use a vbit to find the 4 corners of the machine and then can connect the corners with a straight edge. Not sure if this will work but I think it will work without carving into the table top.

1 Like

Might work. Just zero it to the table in each corner and put a mark. Good idea. Thanks.

1 Like

I just did this on my table, so now I will know with the maximum cutting area of the machine is. I just used the joystick and ran it around the four extents of the machine cutting area in a square.

1 Like

I did this by removing the collet and inserting a normal sharpie it was a snug fit, and then manually jogged the machine around the perimeter.
Worked ok

1 Like

Might just try that.

I just ran the laser around and then lasered a grid pattern on the spoilboard.

I didn’t order the laser but am thinking about it.

I"M with ACNailedit. I ran a a very shallow vbit outline of the maximum cutting area in a square.

1 Like