How to...Electrical Accessory Cabinet

Long time reader, 1st time asking a question…be gentle, please!
My wish, put together a “Stand Alone” electrical accessory cabinet to house connections for my Dust Collector, Lights, Spindle w/ VFD, camera, etc. I saw a great YouTube video put together by Corvetteguy50 giving an overview of a terrific setup from one of his clients (A Onefinity CNC Done Right). I understand basic electrical wiring and can read schematics; however, I have no idea how to spec out resisters, breakers, EMI filters, etc. I’m looking for chatter to lead me in the right direction. Websites, contact information…anything to get me started!
I have the X-50 and the following Accessories:
Onefinity

1. Controller
  2. Breakout Board
  3. Touchscreen
  4. Touch Probe
  5. Joystick
  6. Suck-it Dust Boot (both versions)
    Other
  • Cyclone Dust Collector (220V)
  • Spindle
  • VFD
  • Water Chiller (All 220V)
    Thank you, Tim

A few ideas come to mind…
Jason Stewart on the official 1F FB group is building an enclosure based on an Acorn controller - he is showing his work there. I have posted my journey through this process in this forum, and on the FB group - search "Masso G3 … We are both using different controllers, and choosing to keep our VFDs with associated electronics separate. I recently saw a post by a 1F owner who showed his enclosure, and put all electronics together in a large cabinet. Perhaps he will add his thoughts, or someone remembers the post and will link it.

When I started last year I watched as many “CNC enclosure…” build videos I could find which was a good stating point. Then, searched more specifically for topics (e.g., how to wire a contactor) to make sure I was following best practises (not all hobby builds are correct in all aspects). Your VFD manual, if a good one, will be full of wiring diagrams that specify everything, including amperage rating, wire sizes, etc… Be aware that there is a difference between hobby builds and those for industry, where different codes must be adhered to, and different safety circuit solutions need to be implemented (I think after a few weeks of research you will begin to see these differences, and can decide for yourself what must be done as a minimum to be safe, and what is geared for industry). I learned a great deal over time. Patience to research and learn, time to carefully design and build, and money to buy quality components were, for me, particularly valuable.
This is a very helpful community, and I am sure you will have many members that will support your efforts.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding! Your information is greatly appreciated and will investigate your leads!
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi Tim - I did a few a few videos about the controller I made. Not nearly as impressive as the one in the video you noted, but it works :slight_smile:

-Tom

1 Like

Thank you, I will check them out!!