HuanYang 2.2KW spindle nut (ER20A)

Looking for suggestion from any users with the HuanYang 2.2kw spindle . It has a ER20A nut. I am looking to purchase a couple of extra ER20A nuts that are of good quality. I have asked HuanYang but they have not responded. If you check Amazon they all have bad reviews for one reason or another. Any suggestions?

There a few options via google. mine is balanced, i’m not sure what the engineers on the forum think but 10k-24k rpm and it is a weighty beast i think balanced would be an idea.

Hey Wayne, hey Andy, hey all,

I think you mean collets, not nuts.

This is asked frequently here: ER collet

A collet has to match the bit shank diameter so you need one for each bit shank diameter that you use. With ER-20 collets, you can use tool shanks from 1 to 13 mm (including 1/2" – if you get one for 1/2"). For mounting the collet inside the nut correctly, see here.

Usually they sell ER collets in runout classes. 24,000 rpm spindles are high frequency spindles, I would buy collets with 5 µm or less runout (class 1). The less the collet runout, the longer your spindle bearings will live. It also depends on tool however, and of course of the runout of the spindle itself.

I bought my 5 µm set of collets here (a unboxing video).

15 µm runout (class 2) collets are cheaper, e.g. here.

Further video watching

ER Collet Essentials. Do You Know? – Haas Automation Tip of the Day

1 Like

No I meant the Spindle Nut which is a ER20A on the Huanyang 22KW spindle. See documents from HuanYang.

Collet vs Nut
The collet is inside the ER20A and spindle center shaft. For the collets I already have a full set. The nut supplied from HuanYang is balanced and I would like to purchase additional balanced ER20A spindle nuts.

1 Like

Hey Wayne,

ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not think of that because my collet nut was delivered with the spindle, I had no need to buy one. My spindle came with this nut that are also sold separately.

1 Like

Aiph5u, My spindle also came with a clamping nut. I currently have two and want three. I want to set up with my commen used cutters 1/8" , 1/4" , 1/2". This way I can leave the collets in the clamping nut and just select the cutter.

So since you guys are talking about this spindle. Could people maybe give some review or ratings on which spindle may be better. Looking at getting either the 110V- 2.2 OR the 110V- 1.5.
I have read that the 1.5 has issues leaking but the 2.2 seems a bit much for an X50. Answer?

1 Like

I run the 2.2kw on the X50 with no issues, in fact it seems the added mass of the spindle over the 800w one I first had reduced chatter. Typically the main factor is what shank size bits are you going to run, if you want to use 1/2" shank bits you need the 2.2kw ER20 spindle which will require the 80mm mount from Onefinity to use.

At the end of the day all the low priced spindle options are probably junk if you read reviews. I got mine during the pandemic and options were limited for fast shipment (the better brands were in the 6-9 month range back then) I have about 2000 hours on this water cooled HY and it’s still going… I read posts saying they died after 50 hours, the bearings are junk and they have .020" runout etc. I should be proactive and get quality one now but I’ll probably run this till it dies, then get more junk because it’s fast… no one eats fast food because it’s good for you :wink:

2 Likes

So probably mostly use 1/4 shank bits “mostly” however im sure there will be a time ill need 1/2". So yes thats why was thinking the 2.2. And you’re given the option for I think it’s a 16pc or so collet set including the 1/2" as well. But you mentioned chatter and yes! I had thought the thicker shank in the spindle would potentially be better so that does help with the choice, so I guess will just go the original route and do the 2.2. Thanks

Hey Wayne,

yes, after you told me that you really mean the nut, I imagined exactly that! :wink:

Hey Sean,

People who intend to buy a 110 V VFD for a 2.2 kW spindle motor should always be aware that

1. serious VFD manufacturers don’t produce VFDs for the 100 V class stronger than 0.75 kW and that
  2. those manufacturers who do offer them, simply omit the rated input current and input power in kVA both in the manual and on the nameplate, in order to make people in 110 V countries believe they can get away with a 30 A circuit. If you simply calculate what the rated current at the expected input power would be on a 110 V 2.2 kW output VFD, if it wasn’t omitted and they would write it on the nameplate or into the manual, no U.S. citizen would buy it as there are no circuits in domestic environment that deliver 110 V with more than 30 A.

For higher power devices like VFDs/spindles, ovens, air conditioners, electric heaters, car chargers, etc., there is 240 V, because for the same power (kW) of your device, you need only half the current, which means half the wire strength and half the fuse strength, as explained here.

So im just going off of what ive read from numerous people who are actually using this spindle and given reviews on it. Most have been using this spindle for a while now and say they haven’t had any issues. So with that said, I would say given they have the experience with this spindle such as the Huanyang 2.2 110V spindle and say and just about everyone is saying its good to go, then I would assume it will be jus fine. Ive also read based off of customer reviews that it doesn’t pull more than 7-8.5 amps and runs on 110 circuit. I see it being too much to run a 220 or higher for any spindle if you can just go and get a makita router and that works just fine.
Im only looking at this spindle due to noise reduction (regardless of bit noise etc). Thanks for the info tho, but I would state however if you do not personally use this spindle if you’re not using or haven’t used this spindle. It’s kinda of hard to give any input or review on it and only stating what information you have at this time. So, I can only go off of the reviews from multiple users currently and what they have to say.
I will say I have looked into the PNC CNC spindles but they are way to much in my option and cant get enough info about them to say if they are any good or not.

I will ad however, if there are any water cooled spindles anyone can recommend other than the Haunyang I open to suggestions and will look into them!

Hey Sean,

I know plenty of people simply don’t want to know what the rated input is, and are very happy that they don’t know and use this spindle in a mechanical load range where this will probably not show any issue. This has already been discussed here. Many people simply use the spindle and don’t worry about what people who know what they’re talking about say. What I say is just, I could never recommend to anyone to attach a device to a power circuit that is not dimensionated for it, already simply because it violates the safety regulations which are in place to protect you (and your workshop and home).

So you can simply say: “The chinese omit what the device is really able to draw, and I am a U.S. citizen that doesn’t want to know, so the cheap chinese VFD manufacturer and me, the spindle/VFD buyer, we meet at this point and both are satisfied”, this is what you can of course do and possibly hundreds do (that you can of course mention here). It is the same as if you say: “Yes, I know that smoking and nourishing myself with sugar is unhealthy, but as long as I don’t realize it, I will proceed.”

By the way, I don’t need to buy this VFD or to even ever have seen it to be able to apply what I know and what is only based on physics (together with information about safety regulations). It’s just that when I finally saw that they simply omit the input power and current on their VFDs, and that is the reason why all U.S. people have no concern to buy and connect them to their domestic circuits, I felt I could write a little posting about it. That’s all! :slight_smile:

Anyway, if you think I am not competent to say something about the matter, you can also follow the link above and also read what Daniel @PwnCNC said about the 110 V 2.2 kW spindle of which he bought only a few, and why they don’t offer a kit containing this spindle: Because there is no power supply circuit in a U.S. domestic context that will be able to match the (omitted, but calculated) maximum current draw of such a 110 V/2.2. kW spindle/VFD (we are talking of at least 48 A).

By the way, regarding the 1.5 kW or 2.2 kW spindle choice, I would always choose the 2.2 kW model because you can always use less power and usually it’s not a big price difference. The 80 mm models are available for ER-20 collets which means tools shanks up to 13 mm. If you considered 65 mm spindles, yes there were problems with hairline cracks and on the Onefinity Standard Series, they don’t clear the stepper cage and bump it with their back if not slid much downwards inside the clamp, which augments the danger of chatter, while with the optional 80 mm spindle mount, all spindles clear the stepper. On Elite Series, both 65 mm and 80 mm spindles are said to clear the stepper cage.

Got to go now, was called for eating!

2 Likes

Well I will start b saying no one said you weren’t competent about anything! And if anyone gets offended by me asking an actual serious question such as “if you never owned one” then thats on them! I am simply asking these questions for a reason , as the dumbest question asked is the one NOT asked. I will also ad I am not here to start issues! I am simply asking for those who "actually’ have experience with these spindles for there options, even tho this means I may or may not purchase it. I also added that if anyone even yourself can suggest a spindle then id be more than happy to take a look. I do appreciate the input, however admittedly Im not very well versed in electricity and currents. Yes I can wire all day long and so on but aren’t quit as versed as others. Yes I can go on and on researching, learning etc, reading a million forums and so on in which I have looked, but I haven’t quit found the info im specifically searching for but instead its people talking about extreme detail vs just giving a straight answer.
The power ratings etc you’re talking about is good input and does help, because your suggesting its not something anyone should run on their onefinity. However I do have to ad to that, if its not a good spindle to use in your opion, then why would onefinity make suggestions about this spindle specifically ? (this is an serious question! Not being sarcastic fyi) I dont remember where exactly I seen it but it was on their site and will have to look back at it again, but thats what originally turned me to the Haunyang spindle. Then obviously I did some research and looked at all the reviews and everything seemed to be fine, but as always im trying to get others options “before” making a purchase.
So I’ll ask again just in case you or anyone else has any options. Is there any specific spindles that would be a good choice? Looking for 80mm water cooled spindle specifically.
Thanks

As mentioned and discussed a few times on here, since the input power rating is suspect and the VFD may or may not restrict the current properly - make sure you use adequately sized input and spindle cable conductors for the job. If it’s on a 20A circuit, make sure everything is rated for 20A including a cord and plug if you go that route. Realistically the National Electrical Code in the US is going to tell you the circuit needs to be de-rated for a VFD anyhow. I have personally tested mine on the input side and typically have 5 amps max @258v (yes this is high but the utility says it’s fine and refuses to correct)

I say this knowing the local maker space near me has a commercial 5x10 CNC with a 7.5kw spindle on it factory supplied with a 16/4 spindle cable… To me that does not pair.

1 Like

Ok yes the does make since. And again I know its been discussed, however going back I was only mainly searching for recommend spindles other than the Haunyang being you guys are saying its not specifically a good choice and I do understand that I guess. I was going off what everyone who has had these has said about it.
And to answer that statement. Yes! I was running a 20amp circuit that would “only” run the spindle/ VFD and nothing else. I assumed that it would be fine but admittedly im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to circuits even tho most of the time I can get through ok.
So just to be clear though. Are you saying as well that the 2.2 110V spindle isn’t a good choice as well?

Sorry if im repeating what others have already asked.

Hey Sean,

I just said, I would avoid 110 V spindles (if stronger than 0.75 kW) and I linked to the exact explanations why, but rather choose one for 240 V. That’s all! :slight_smile:

By the way, Onefinity does not recommmend ANY spindle or VFD. They always clearly state that it’s your risk. And if they would recommend to attach a HY02D211B 110 V 2.2 kW VFD to a circuit not sufficiently dimensionated, they would be liable for recommending to violate the safety regulations in your country. So I am very sure they don’t. As the input current and power draw is willingly omitted both in the VFD manual and on the nameplate, you can only ask someone who knows how a VFD internally works an how you can calculate these ratings, and that gives that a 30 A circuit as usual in a domestic 120 V context is clearly not enough. However with the same model in the 200 V class, you would be good with 24 A and a 30 A fuse.

Really late now :slight_smile:

PS: Regarding the fact that many people simply don’t know what a 110 V VFD for 2.2 kW motor can draw because many people never put a mechanical load on their spindle that would cause any issue with the power draw even on too weak circuit, the other day I posted this test to drive your spindle to its limits. It’s fun but it can show how easy it is to get to the limit.

Not at all… I am a former electrician and would generally prefer balanced loads that run at 240v over 120v if possible keeping unbalanced load off the neutral but that is not a requirement. Same in commercial/industrial settings where 3 phase is available. If you’re following the strict letter of the NEC you’d likely need a 30A input to your VFD at 120v because it’s nameplate rating (right or wrong) will likely be more than 20A (probably around 24A based on what I’ve seen previous). This doesn’t mean it will use 24A, just that is what it was designed for as a max load. Running a 120v 2.2kw VFD on a 20A circuit runs the risk of tripping your over current device where as running it on a 20A 240v circuit wouldn’t have that concern. FWIW recent code changes including requirements for arc fault breakers also seem not to play well with VFD based devices like pool pumps and variable speed HVAC equipment.

Gotcha, ok so just to explain real quick. Plan was to run 20amp circuit to power cnc, and another for everything else, but your saying (sorry if im repeating myself ) to run a 10 gauge(30) amp circuit solely for the spindle all by itself? Which makes me question it then because then I would need to run a 220 outlet because a standard receptacle doesnt except 30amps but rather and lower amperage. Now again im “not” an electrician but this is also why im asking these questions.
So again going back to my previous question because it seems as this is going to be not a good option potentially based off the current setup im going to be running which is 20 amp circuit. Which spindle is a better option then? Thats if anyone can offer one that is.