Huanyang spindle and VFD 800 watt on masso

Hey Marcel,

to 4 poles, really? Spindles with four magnetic poles are rather rare and usually much more expensive. The usual 24 000 rpm spindles have two poles, not four. As I wrote in the posting I linked for you above, I would set "number of poles (PD143) to four only if you are sure that you have a four-pole spindle. Otherwise I would set it to 2.

Anyway, if you have a VFD that can do max. 400 Hz, you can not drive a four-pole spindle faster than 12 000 rpm, because spindle speed calculates this way:

…but VFDs with more than 600 Hz capability were banned in the EU and in the US because you could use them on Uranium enrichment centrifuges.

Pole pairs on three-phase asynchronuous induction motors:

Polpaar_zahl_1
Biezl, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Polpaar_zahl_2
Biezl, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

2 magnetic poles (1 pole pair)4 magnetic poles (2 pole pairs)

Also are you sure that you set PD144 to 3000 like I wrote on this and this posting I linked to you above? If not, your spindle would not be able to run at 24 000 rpm speed.

I have no experience with the Masso G3 CNC Controller. On the buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller, the thing is simple as the supported VFDs are stored inside the Controller, and because the buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller supports Modbus, the Modbus commands to control the VFD are stored inside the CNC controller too. You really send the exact spindle speed as data via Modbus protocol over RS-485 communication, that’s why a CNC Controller capable of Modbus communication can send exact speed settings.

But because Masso G3 does not support the Modbus protocol :frowning:, the Masso can control the speed of the VFD only with an analog 0–10 V voltage on an analog input of the VFD (as shown in “Spindle VFD Examples – MASSO Documentation”). You got to make sure that this analog voltage is translated correctly to the spindle speed in the VFD settings. There are parameters that allow to configure this in your VFD. See your VFD manual.

EDIT: PS: Just had a look at the Huanyang VFD manual in my VFD manuals collection. Seems that it is the settings PD070–PD073 that you have to configure.

PD001 (Source of RUN commmand) and PD002 (Source of spindle speed) would both be set to 1.

1 Like