I like to move it, move it! ...I made some PA speakers

Speakers are what initially got me into woodworking many years ago. These won’t be the last ones. They are never the last ones…

Before finishing:

After finishing:

With grilles:
The speaker grilles were made using my new plasma cutter. If I were to make these again, I would not have wrapped the grilles around the edge. It added unneeded complexity.

Parts list, if anyone is interested:

15 Likes

Hey Matticustard,

Nice project. I am sitting between two active speakers too at the moment :slight_smile:

Exemplary parts list! A pleasure.

You don’t use a horn like this in the living room? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, to each their own! I’m hoping my hearing hangs on for a few more decades. :rofl:

But since you brought it up, my living room is actually an 11.2 Atmos setup. Custom-built Klipsch fronts, custom-built ScanSpeak Revelator center, custom-built JL Audio subwoofers, and standard Klipsch speakers for surrounds and Atmos. Denon receiver. Peavy power amps for subs and whole-house audio.

3 Likes

Hey Matticustard,

ah, the trick to see the real living room speaker worked :slight_smile:

I am a Denon user too (and built speaker cabinets too in the past).

But I just sit between to stock Yamaha HS7, so it can’t compare :slight_smile:

I think the powerful cabinets you just made would be very interesting to use on a little stage. Do you plan to use them as stage monitors or towards public? Or both? They seem to be versatile.

1 Like

Ha! It always works… I’ve never met a speaker person who didn’t like to show off their stuff.

I’ve heard good things about those Yamaha. My personal desktop speakers are currently a set of Klipsh The Sixes, which I am a big fan of, though they may not be as “true” of a sound as the Yamahas as the Sixes have a bit of color.

Ideally towards the public — they are certainly up to the task. But I probably need a big bad subwoofer or two to really set them off. Realistically, they could be used for either.

H Matticustard, do you happen to have the plans for the speakers or can point me in the right direction. They are perfect for Xmas for my son, a dj.

The speakers are my own design (inspired by existing examples). I don’t have fully fleshed-out plans such as instructions or a 3D model, but I can pull together my vector artwork if you want to pick through it all. However, there may be things that you have to figure out on your own.

Alternatively, this is the video I got my starting point from. The build in the video uses the same drivers, and he sells plans.

1 Like

If you can send me the svg’s or c2d(carbide create) or easel output, that would be fantastic. I’ll happily do the rest.

My project files are in VCarve. But I have tried to include everything you might need.

A few notes:

• All materials are 3/4" nominal thickness.
  • If you are able to view the VCarve files, you will be able to better see what all of the lines are for since the tool paths are already defined.
  • All tool paths in the included files use a 1/4" end mill, with the sole exception of the threaded insert mounting holes for the woofer, which require a 1/8" end mill (assuming a #8-32x10mm threaded insert).
  • The side & rear panels are oversized with the expectation that the necessary edges will be trimmed and angled on a table saw. A diagram detailing the angles is included in the IMPORTANT! folder.
  • Many of the parts are set up as double-sided due to having dados. All double-sided parts are mirrored to the defined work area in VCarve, meaning if you cut your material to the work area width, you can simply index from the left and bottom to flip the part. Or, you could cut the dados separately without the CNC.
  • The internal (triangular) port sections can be cut manually on a table saw with 45° angles. I do not have drawings for these. The internal port section should follow the profile of the front baffle. The total port length including the front baffle is 7.5" (6.75 + 0.75).
  • It’s more than likely I botched something trying to organize all of this. If you catch any issues, let me know and I will update the Dropbox.

And of course, if you have any questions, let me know.

2 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. I’ll keep you updated on my progress

I made a few additional modifications to the text above, including adding the desired port length. I am not able to locate my original box calculations, so I measured from the existing build.

Hey Matticustard,

I believe that too. Really fine boxes! The loudspeaker frequency responses also seem to fit well together.

Wish I already had a CNC when I made speaker cabinets in the past.

They are amazingly good, I keep noticing that. I enjoy them very much. I didn’t even need the matching subwoofer.

1 Like