I would like to share my CAD model of my machine

Hello all, and especially @OnefinityCNC.

I have created some immaculate CAD models of each and every (and I mean EVERY) component of my Elite Journeyman. I intend to design a variety of accessories for my machine (which will be shared as they come), so I needed a thorough and accurate CAD assembly to verify fits and avoid conflicts.

Now on to the main topic. I would love nothing more than to share my CAD model of the machine with the community, but I do not want to violate any laws or community policies. Can anyone tell me whether I can post the native F360 file, and a .STEP file onto this forum? What about posting it to other websites, i.e. Github or GrabCAD?

I’ve included some tantalizing teasers for your optical organs.

Also, @OnefinityCNC, if you would like any CAD files or renders from me, feel free to reach out.

14 Likes

I love the attention to detail. You even put a little Masso controller screen image in there.

Nice work Josh. Did you get any response from OneFinity on this?

I don’t see why you can’t share your own work. Onefinity may be good with or maybe not, but if it’s your work, I don’t believe they have any rights to it.

2 Likes

Josh am in awe of your work, as an expert in F360 may I ask you a beginners question?
Is it possible to load an STL file into Fusion and block out some unwanted features, and/or possible to load an STL file and add things?
eg: profile of a face, with say " an earing" to be removed, and the face carved into the bottom of a bowl or surrounded by a custom picture frame in one piece.
If it is possible to do those things will continue trying to learn Fusion. Thank you

Let us know if you post these anywhere, beautifully done.

Hey Tony, I think your best bet is to use Meshmixer for organic geometry. Fusion has some tools, but it’s really optimized for flat faces and circular holes.

You may be able to accomplish what you want in Fusion using the Mesh toolbar in the Design workspace. You can add stl objects to use as booleans to combine or subtract from the original mesh. I don’t have too much experience with that though, but I wish you the best of luck! The Fusion 360 youtube channel recently posted a video of editing STLs, so you may want to take a look at that.

2 Likes

It’s my work in the sense that I created the CAD files from basic geometry, but it’s not my work in the sense that I didn’t design these parts. I only reverse engineered them.

1 Like

No response from @OnefinityCNC yet. I’ll post it in a few days if I don’t hear anything contrary.

2 Likes

I thnk you should be ok as long as you make it clear that you are not affiliated with Onefinity and that Onefinity is in no way liable/responsible for what could happen if someone uses your models. I’m also betting that Onefinity would like to emphasize that any mods or customization done using the models could result in voiding their warranty.

I doubt much could happen, but Onefinity needs to cover their bases and they probably don’t want to field any complaints if there’s inaccuracies in the models.

1 Like

Hi all new to this forum but not new to this field or the type of work in this thread. First of nice work Josh if these are as accurate as you say then I doubt most people will truly understand the amount of work put into this unless they have done something similar themselves.

We actively reverse engineer things for clients all the time and make modifications to existing designs, so understanding the original IP chain is crucial. This can become very complicated when it comes down to who owns what, and with how easy it is to share things on the internet it makes it even harder. Once its out there it becomes impossible to control who does what with it.

Its a touchy subject because what you have effectively reverse engineered (if true to the actual designs) is by all accounts and purposes entirely based on Onefinity’s IP and they can certainly protect that as rigorously as they choose.

I think you’ve made the right call in seeking a response from them. If they didn’t have a problem with this from the get go then they would have open sourced and released there own set of files to begin with.

Were actually looking into designing some custom items for the Foreman ourselves (just got a machine in the last month) but are taking a different approach of 3D scanning the individual areas needed to design and develop the CAD for what we want.

Will be very curious to see if you get a response and what Onefinity says on this. Either way even if it ends up just for you its awesome work!

1 Like

Thank you @Kemperle-Industries for your reply, it explains my dilemma perfectly.

…understanding the original IP chain is crucial. This can become very complicated when it comes down to who owns what, and with how easy it is to share things on the internet it makes it even harder. Once its out there it becomes impossible to control who does what with it.

A very valid worry. Just take a look at the abysmal CAD models of Onefinity machines currently available on GrabCAD. You wouldn’t want to use those to judge the machine before purchasing.

if these are as accurate as you say then I doubt most people will truly understand the amount of work put into this unless they have done something similar themselves.

It was a solid week of straight CAD design, but I enjoy 3D modelling so it felt like it went quite fast. Fusion has a lot of awesome tools to speed things up as well. The fastener generator is a lifesaver and a half.

Either way even if it ends up just for you its awesome work!

Thank you, but it would make me quite sad if others couldn’t benefit from it as well.

2 Likes

Count me in! I took some other files to help design my table, but I had to piece together parts from different files. Fine for layout, not for exact machining. (I’m still not certain how much Z travel I will have on my Foreman) Please share. Onefinity, please if you must, absolve yourself of liability, but open source the design.

1 Like

@Shwerk Fabulous work!

Assuming you are greenlighted, I will use it. Only minor annoyance when F360 claims no model error when simming CAM but would love to have it for fixturing, etc.

Well done!

@Mitch, Funny you should mention machine simulation. Literally got this set up 5 seconds ago.

4 Likes

That’s a cool design Rob! Is that a torsion box table?

I love the cutout for the 4th axis, will that space also pull double duty for vertical fixturing?

1 Like

Exactly that, yes. I had the previous 4x8 table plumbed for vacuum, so I’ll build a torsion box table to mount above it. Then I can cut a bar stool leg, AND tenon the end of it, and profile the chair bottom, all on one machine. That’s why I want all the accurate info I can get: I have access to a CNC router at the day job to prep all this.

2 Likes

I’ve modified the models available on grabcad to design my table. I would be very interested in the design you made.

Josh, if you share these models (especially the F360 and STEP), I would be very grateful. This helps immensely when designing enclosures and accessories. Looking at your renders I can appreciate the amount of work that went into creating those models!

2 Likes

Regretfully, customer support has expressed their wish for me not to share my CAD model so that it won’t be cloned and mass produced by China. I will respect this wish.

I have proposed some alternative solutions, but don’t hold your breath.

6 Likes