Inexpensive controler for B axis

I needed a better solution to operate my laser. It isn’t a jtech and has weird wiring in comparison. I had used it before with Mach3 and that didn’t work well at all so I threw together a makeshift machine and built a standard grbl controller and tried it with PicSender. Bingo!

Then came the OneFininity and my patchwork Laser machine got evicted. I was able to connect my L-Cheapo laser to the onefinity but it just didn’t work right due to the max voltage in the pwm signal. I could only get the laser to fire at about 75% max power. I needed to build a new controller for the OneFinity. Problem is, I didn’t want to just discard the original controller and wanted to keep it as original as possible if for no other reason than being able to create tutorial videos. Still, I just couldn’t help myself, I had to build a new controller. Good news is now I have the best of both worlds for controlling the OneFinity. I can very easily switch from the native OneFinity Controller to my new GRBL controller in less time than it takes to power one off and the other one on. The GRBL Controller is built using a Arduino Uno with a Demon Shield from Designs By Phill.

Both controllers are powered independently and isolated from one another. When one is on the other is powered off and do not share any wiring that might send an unwanted power surge to the other. It is simply a matter of being able to switch the source of controlling the stepper motors from one controller to the other. This is done in the power off state of both controllers by moving the aviation plugs in the picture below. The movable part of the connectors go straight to the motors while the fixed connection goes to each controller separately.

2C92CEE7B8504EF5BC17BE2C3BFA8360

vFWCJOBdllKMusdVFQ1SiJ.jpeg) 870B562DC6704666B64E5F65EB4F4B0C

2C562262865C458C89E6F1C08D6DCC8E

4 Likes