Is my tool setter a little too harsh

I’m confused why the tool setter flies back as the final stage of homing and seems to be slamming into the tool setter harder than I would think is normal. It appears for the most part to be accurate but I’m not sure this is the expected behavior I have not changed any of the speeds to the best of my knowledge homing is dog slow just this part seems harsh. And I have the feed speed set to 30 as per the doc.

And a second bonus question does the tool setter care if I zero initially off the bed or the top of the material?

Are you sure you have it set to 30 inch’s? That’s way faster.

Here is a screenshot from the system

Change the safe distance to a lower number. It looks like you are less than an inch above the setter.

Is a lower number a positive number or a negative number. What would he your suggestion?

How does the machine know how high to start above the tool setter? Let’s say I have a surfacing bit that only sits an inch below the collet and then swap that out for a long bit that sits 3 inches below the collet. Is that the safe distance?

1 Like

All the tool setter is doing is generate a new offset… After you set you initial z probe point on the next
tool change the machine now knows the “offset” to the initial z point.

2 Likes

Negative number is how far down the spindle will go before starting the slow probe. So right now it’s going to go 1 inch at full speed before the slow probe. So start with -.5 to see if it will help. With your setup it probably should be between 0 and -.5.

1 Like

I set it to -0.25 and it was as I would have expected it so thank you that worked!

2 Likes

Well, Thanks for this information. for the life of me i could not figure what the relevance of a tool setter was. with yours and woodpeckers simple explanation i now need to get one!

3 Likes

So I’m afraid I was completely ignorant to the actual function of the tool setter. I ordered one, being 99.9% certain that it could use it as a simple Z-probe on my Centroid Acorn. Functionally, a Z-probe is nothing more than a simple on/off switch. But thanks to @anon93936469 and @Woodpecker for revealing this information, and to @RJK75 and @KenA asking the right questions. I thought ‘toolsetter’ and ‘Z-probe’ were essentially the same thing, but thanks to this thread, the light bulb truly turned on. :bulb:

I am now more anxious than ever to receive my toolsetter. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play with it until another month or 2, as my machine is completely packed up for an upcoming move.

1 Like