Is my X Axis stepper motor dead?

Hi there, I hope you’re all doing well. I received my new journeyman x50 about 2 weeks ago, and just finished getting it set up yesterday. I’m 95% sure that my X axis stepper motor is broken, but I figured that I would post here just to see if I’m missing something, I’ve already contacted support, but haven’t heard back since it’s a weekend. I’ve attached a video link below where I demonstrate the problem.

As soon as I took the machine out of the box I noticed a pretty big dent on the back of the X axis motor, but I didn’t think much of it. When I went to home the machine for the first time the Y and Z axis moved perfectly, but the X stayed in place. I scrolled through the forum, and tried adjusting the stall homing settings in the controller, no improvement. Next I tried taking the motor off to see if there was an issue with the linkage between the motor and the threaded drive shaft. When I send a jog command from the controller the motor makes a sound, but doesn’t move. I thought that it may be an issue with the connector as opposed to the motor itself, so I tried plugging the Z axis motor into the X axis connector, and I was able to move it successfully with no issues. With all of that being said, I’m pretty sure my X axis motor is dead. Is there something I’m missing? I need to get my machine up and running ASAP, is there a motor that I could source locally so that I don’t have to wait for a replacement? Thank you for your help, have a great weekend.

Best wishes

Video Link:

Contact support. They can normally get you a replacement in a matter of a couple of days.

Thanks! I got it figured out with support

Hey Curties, how did you fixed your problem. I just opened my machine today and after moving the x axis with the controller it stopped working. Doing the same thing yours was doing on the video.
Thank you

1 Like

Hey there, it turned out my X axis stepper motor was broken, I emailed support and they shipped me a new one overnight. Good luck!

Unless you have actual physical damage to your motor like Curtis did, I wouldn’t assume your motor is bad. Stepper motors, especially decent ones like Onefinity uses, are nearly indestructible. The issue would more likely be in the wiring somewhere. Check all the connections carefully.