It's ALIVE! Run for your lives! Ahhhh!

Oh! Yeah, that is not good! Even though it currently fits, I will move the machine to the right as much as possible to allow larger drag chain in the future, as I do eventually want to go to a spindle.

Ok, so here is where my head is at now, thanks to all the help and wonderful postings!

First, mill out a channel in the bottom board to install t-tracks, then screw them into the channels.

Next, bore the holes which will have tee nuts for keeping the two layers together (only 8 per wasteboard panel) almost to the table top.

Disassemble everything, and manually finish the tee nut holes as well as drill the countersinks.

Reassemble everything.

Next, cut out the wasteboard panels that will form the second layer. The panels will be slightly larger so that they overlap the t-tracks as shown here:

Next, clamp the wasteboards down as shown above and bore the countersink holes for the brass screws that hold the two layers together into the tee nuts. Install the screws and remove the t-track clamps.

Next, bore the dog holes and the screw insert nuts almost to the bottom of the lower board.

Then, remove the wasteboards and install screw insert nuts (not tee nuts as Jim Hatch suggested), hoping that the flange on the inserts is held in place by the upper board (again, similar to the above picture, only with insert nuts).

This way, I don’t have to do any two-sided milling and I get to keep screw fixtures, dogs and t-tracks

When a wasteboard needs replacing, I mill it out, unscrew it, and drop it in place. Everything should align perfectly.

Technically, I don’t need the dog holes in the lower layer, but I thought it might be a good way to force alignment when fixing the two layers together and allow a little tolerance in the screw holes.

Anyone see a problem I didn’t address?

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions…I have taken bits of each and might just have a decent solution! Thank you all.

1 Like