Jabra earbuds may have caused an error

Greetings Y’all!

Tonight I was setting up for a carve and ended up with an error in the run. I had thrice checked my files, depths, paths, etc. and sent it over to the controller via my network. Tool path simulation on the computer side of the control screen looked good :+1: :+1: :+1:

While I was setting up the bit in my router & probing for XYZ I was listening to some music on my iPhone through some Jabra Ear Buds. For the first time ever the connection to the earbuds kept cutting out and or had static coming through. I am not positive but I thought I saw the screen flicker out of the corner of my eye. Eventually I noticed that there was a correlation to the severity of interference to my proximity to my Journeyman. I put the earbuds back in the case and finished setting up for the carve. First off the XYZ probing got hung up when probing for Y-axis eventually requiring me to have to restart the controller solving that issue. Then I ran the carve and it was not following the carve sequence or tool paths resulting in me aborting the carve.

Went back to the computer and checked all the tool paths, etc. and found no issues. Dumped the G-code from the controller and re-downloaded the files. This time it ran without a hitch. I ran a couple of carves earlier in the day with no issues and the only variable this time was the Jabra Ear Buds… Seems crazy, but who knows what signal frequencies, etc. could be at play here. Anybody experience anything like that with their wireless devices?

Hey Glenn,

The frequencies of DECT and Bluetooth are known. These frequencies do not interfere with those of WiFi.

It is unlikely that your wireless headset could disturb the Onefinity Controller, EMI is more likely to be emitted by the Onefinity CNC machine, especially by the router with its carbon-brush commutators, or unsufficiently earthed machine or spindle or VFD.

However the cables to the stepper motors are not shielded. If you want to run spindle or router cables in parallel to them, I would replace them by shielded and correctly grounded cables.

See also Proper Grounding - How have you grounded your frame? and Material and Tools needed for grounding the CNC machine for details.

2 Likes

Greetings

Appreciate the informed response! My machine, router and dust collection hose are well grounded (as far as I can tell) and I have shielded stepper motor cables. Also nothing was running other than the controller when this oddity happened.

Come to think of it we did have some electrical storms last night but not even close to when this happened. I will double check everything before playing around today. Thanks again!

I’m not sure how long you’ve had your machine but you might also go through each connection point (plugs) to make sure contact is good as well. I noticed my screen began flickering at random points a while back. It was resolved by cycling the plug connections at the monitor and controller. It hasn’t happened since.

You might also try ‘dry’ running the files with out a bit and the router turned off to see if the errors occur. As noted by Aiph5u, those motor brushes are major EMI producers.

2 Likes