Jittery in Y motion

When running a job, the cnc acts like it’s jittering during the move in the Y direction, such as when it’s cutting a circle, it’s starts a slight jitter (can hear it and see it sometimes) but does cut ok, when moving the gantry with the Masso controller - moving the gantry in the y direction, either way, when moving slow, it sounds like it’s jittering, unlike the x or z direction which is smooth, once moving in the y direction with the touch panel, it’s smooth during that selection. I would assume all directions should be smooth. My first CNC, the machine is square etc, verified before writing this.

Any ideas?

Does it behave that way at both extremes of the Y axis? If the Y rails aren’t parallel, it could be binding at one end. Just a thought.

Do you know which version of the controller you have? There was a version of the buildotics controller that had that bug a while back. If the version is not the problem, then does it change with speed? Unlikely, but the machine might be moving too fast for the dimensions.

-Tom

It does not do it in the x or z, only in the y, I looked at it again today and it’s almost like the heavier spindle is too much weight for the long 48” y rail, I have the stiffy on it as well.I measured across and diagonally across the rails and they are parallel.

Not sure at the moment but this is the Masso controller, not the build optics version.

Oh, you shouldn’t have any problems with the Masso. Likely some sort of mechanical issue or maybe even some issue with the gcode. I would make sure you are using arcs rather than line segments in your gcode - I think that’s g2 vs g1.

-Tom

I’m thinking mechanical as it does it when I use the touch panel to make it move in the y direction. I also have the Masso pendant and when I click through each “notch”, it does it then when going slow between each one. It does not however act this way when rotating in the x or z direction.