X,Y, Z movement sound

I have been following this forum for over a year now. Finally finished assembling my Journeymen Elite. It is assembled to QCW frame. My question might seem to be stupid or irrelevant but, I will still ask…When I move axis through MASSO, Z- axis and X-axis are moving very quietly while Y-axis movement is way, way louder. Is this something others are experiencing or just me?. I would assume that by assembling to QCW assembly errors would be eliminated

I have the Foreman Elite on the QCW and at times rapid Y movement definitely has a unique sound. I only notice it at full speed (i.e., moving to park position) and with the weight of the spindle and stiffy rail on those Y and B bearings I’m not too surprised. As for the QCW frame eliminating errors…keep your fingers crossed as there is no way to adjust for square as near as I can tell. You can find tons of information on how to check for square, but very little on making any adjustments. I emailed Onefinity support and the response was disappointing to say the least. The first time I asked I was told my test results were within tolerances, I explicitly asked again if there was a method to adjust the machine and the response was nonsensical.

Welcome Anderzej. In addition to moving two sets of motors + lead screws + bearing sets, the lead is 10 mm on the Y axis of the Woodworker and Journeyman. Since the X axis lead is 16 mm, the Y axis steppers have to spin faster to achieve the same linear speed. This also results in the Y axis generating higher pitch tonals for the same linear speed. Lastly, the Y axis rails are mounted directly to the table thus transmitting any vibration generated by the axis components directly to that table.

Thanks very much everone for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. This forum is a great resource. As to sound, yes it is higher, louder pitch. As to increasing pulses, I did read on the forum about changing switches on stepper motors. I am assuming that I also need to change settings in MASSO in X,Y, Z settings, correct?

SO why does the Elite/Masso system ship with the setting at 400?

I believe that this is how it is factory set up and shipped by MASSO. It is easy for them to set up all of the switches on motor to on, instead of having some on and some off. This way they avoid mistakes. Also, some people want 800 and some to go higher. There is quite a few configurations. OneFinity only assembles what they get from suppliers. At least this is my take on this

Thanks for your take on this. I think this is a very important topic that Onefinity should do a Blog on.

1 Like