z-Axis with a mind of its own when jogging

Hello everyone,

I received my journeyman x-50 about 3 weeks ago. I’m fairly new to CNC. I’ve searched the forum for this problem but haven’t found any posts specific to it.

Occasionally (actually happening more often now) when I am jogging the machine around with the game pad, if I move the z-axis down, it doesn’t stop when I let off of the joy stick. In fact, today it went down without me even realizing it and screwed up the spoilboard. I might have bumped that joystick, but I don’t think so. I’ve blown out the game pad with compressed air thinking maybe there’s dust in there (even though it’s weeks old), but I don’t think that is the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m paranoid now when using the game pad, because when it goes down it just keeps going until the machine starts trying to pry itself off of the table before I can get to the emergency stop.

Thanks!
Stan

Make sure to check the z-axis wires and all the connections from controller to spindle. Beyond that, maybe contact @OnefinityCNC if there are any (unlikely) defects that you find, otherwise they will work with you to find the problem and fix it with you. Also, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thanks Preston. I’ve tried checking the wires since reading this and haven’t had any more issues. Hopefully that solved it. Thanks for the advice.

Stan

I have had this issue several times and destroyed a couple of very fine tapered ballnose bits due to it. @OnefinityCNC do you have any further insight on why this might happen?

How To Prevent Controller Drift.

1 Like

Hey Stan,

throw it away and buy this. Available here.