JorneyMan X-50 Mounting to Wall

My JourneyMan X-50 just came!!! Currently I put it together on my Family Room floor to really see what its like. However I plan to be mounting this to the wall in my shed. The shed has sturdy walls and the JM will be mounted directly into studs. I have the wall mount and QCW and plan to follow the instructions for mounting. But I must admit, I’m abit nervous cause this sucker is really heavy. Has anyone recently mounted one on the wall and able to talk me off the ledge??

Thanks
Mark

Dont you want to be talked ONTO the ledge? Sorry, i couldnt resist. I’ll show myself out.

Did you get the QCW attach from above or below? I wonder what the process for changing the from-below version is like for wall hangers.

1 Like

So i got the qcw from beneath. I think you just tilt it up and brace it to change the MDF.

When I put my boards on, I had to apply pressure from the top to get the screws in or the board just lifts. I’ll look at better screws or something next time. I’d prefer not to predrill. If i have to do that, i might as well have gotten the screw from above version.

1 Like

I received my Journeyman around the end of July this year, with the secure from above QCW frame and the wall mount ball adaptor. I ran the machines for about two months in this orientation, here is a picture:

Here is a couple of things I’ve noticed:

1. making the wasteboard for the QCW from above frame is quite tedious, you have to follow a paper template and pre-drill then counter sink, and keep that paper template around for the next time you want to swap them out, but it wasn’t the end of the world.

2. The machine has MORE THAN ENOUGH power to work in this position, you might have to route more power to the x axis but it can handle anything you throw at it, it is a beast of a machine.

3. This is the part that kills me, and I’m not sure if it’s operator’s error or other things, but tramming my machine is really, really hard. Every time I go to tram my machine it slowly goes out of tram over time. I have a feeling that maybe gravity is affecting it ever so slightly, but I am not quite sure, it might be just I’m not tightening the bolts enough, but the bolts are extremely easy to strip, I already lost two on the z axis and had to buy some replacements.

4. Workholding is a little tricky, normally you can rest the work piece on the waste board and move the clamps in, but when wall mounted you have to support the workpiece against gravity before you clamp it down, this makes it harder to square the work piece with the machine. You can deal with this by making a straight edge guide that bolts down to your frame tho.

Over my experience with wall mounting is either super positive or negative. I could see how it saves massive space but it isn’t without its limitations, due to the tramming issure I’ve decided to move my machine off the wall, onto a workbench, and utilize a grid + threaded insert style wasteboard.

Hope this helps!

Jackon

4 Likes

Wow Jackson! Thanks for the insights, this is really helpful. My went up on the wall today, I got all three rails attached but had to stop there for the day. Tomorrow, I get the controller going and start to move things around. Those brackets are very strong and everything is holding well. More to come!

1 Like

If you want to stop stripping out those hex heads you can switch to Torx (star) head screws. If you’re stripping the actual threads then you’re tightening them way too tight.

3 Likes

I was stripping out the individual hex heads, thankfully. I didn’t even know they make star head bolts, thanks for the info! I’m gonna get myself a pack of those lol.

1 Like