Jtech Laser Mount installation and focus

Any idea on solving this problem? The laser add-on wasn’t cheap and i would love to use it without guessing where it’s lined up. I’m thinking of making an offset reference to mount on the laser.

1 Like

I just got around to getting the laser set up yesterday, and ran into this bug.

Look as if the dust boot and vac hose must be removed and stay off in order to mount and use the lazer ??

I am having the same issue with the M3 S10 not working. It works until I home, I guess that is so bad. Just don’t home and it is good to go!

So my question is this: I’m using the Jtech 7W Pro and the vcarve laser module add on. When I turn the machine on(cancel the homing) and run the m3 S10 command to show the laser position it works fine. M5 to shut it off afterwards works fine as well. When I run my laser gcode it comes out just as it looks on the rendering. Where I’m noticing an issue is after I pull the first project and do the next one, the m3 S10 command won’t work. I have to turn the machine off and do everything again. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, this is a known and super irritating problem with the current firmware. I am really hoping this is a priority for the next update.

1 Like

i updated my post processor for my machine and it used to prompt me to click OK before it just started lasering. As SOON as i hit start on the file it starts flying around doing its thing. I kinda liked that feature :frowning:

Is there any update on the M3 S10 issue? Will 1.0.6 fix it?

Thanks,

Martin

If anyone can try doing the following: unchecking the dynamic power setting in the tool settings under pwm spindle then try zeroing the laser with the m3 sXX code. Please report back here if it works or it does not.

@OnefinityCNC I just tried it and it works for me. I needed to use M3S16 before I could see the dim laser point. M3S15 worked briefly but then started flickering before it stopped working altogether. M3S16 seems reliable at least for the short time I tried it. Perhaps the electronics were warming up or something. The point stayed visible while jogging around with the game controller.

I have the IOT relay also set up with pin 15 enabled if that makes any difference.

Martin

1 Like

will it reputably work for you? try homing as well. Will it work after homing?

@OnefinityCNC The machine did a homing cycle when it first booted and the M3S16 command was done after that in the MDI. Do you want me to unhome the axes after boot again and rerun the homing cycle?

This is with firmware 1.0.5 BTW.

Martin

Yes, that would be great. Just making sure we check all things out.

@OnefinityCNC Here’s what I did.

1. Boot machine and click OK to allow it to home
  2. Jog X, Y, Z to location in the middle of a piece of wood.
  3. Set Z axis to 1/8 above wood surface, zero Z axis
  4. In MDI, enter M3S16 and press play. Laser comes on and I can jog around with the game controller and the laser stays on.
  5. Pressing stop icon in MDI causes laser to turn off, as does executing M5
  6. In each of the X, Y, Z axis, selected the gear icon and clicked on Unhome
  7. Clicked on the Home icon for homing all axes. This did not actually re-home the X, Y and sometimes Z axis. For the X and Y, it simply moved the position slightly backward and to the right. Clicking each individual axis home icon did a better job. I’ve tried reproducing this several times, including rebooting the controller and sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m not sure what conditions cause it to sometimes fail.
  8. Jogged the machine around, executed M3S16 in the MDI, laser came on. I had one instance where in the middle of jogging around the controller suddenly showed all axes as being un-homed.

It looks to me like it is working, except for the re-homing, but that was an issue I discovered before I even got my laser.

Here is my settings page.

The IOT relay connected to pin 15 clicks and the router comes on when the laser fires, which is what I would expect.

I hope this helps - if you need anything else tested, please let me know.

Martin

2 Likes

Yes, it works. All I did was uncheck the dynamic power setting and the laser goes on with m3 s10 and stays on while moving the router around with the joy stick. However, move it around using screen buttons and the laser goes out. Enter the MDI code again and it goes back on. I then homed the machine and the laser stayed on through the entire homing procedure. Very nice. Thanks support for working on this.

2 Likes

One difference in my tool configuration from yours is that my tool enable mode is disabled.

Thanks Alden and Martin!

I have the tool-enable mode enabled in order to allow the breakout box connected to an IOT relay to turn the router on/off with g-code.

Martin

Onefinity Support, I have discovered a problem with the dynamic power setting. When I unchecked the box it fixed the laser 0 problem, but it created another. With the box unchecked, normal laser operations are stuck on 100% power if not more. I had to uncheck it to resume normal operations after I burnt a few test runs.

Right. You’d uncheck it for homing…then recheck it to run the job.