Laser burning too hot

I looked in the forum, but couldn’t find an answer to my issue. My laser is burning too hot. This is the first time I’ve used my laser, so I’m sure that I’m doing something wrong. But I’ve gone through the tutorials on YouTube, checked out the forums, and I’m lost.

I tried to run a materials test through Lightburn. The first one was way too strong. Even when the laser was traversing, it would leave a mark. I tried a second materials test, starting at 1% and it cut through the basswood. I tried a project, using the J-Tech 14W library settings for basswood, and the laser burned every move it made, rather than just the image.

The more I go down the rabbit hole, the more lost I feel. I’m sure that the solution is simple, and I’m just missing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I presume 44w… did you adjust the ‘trim screw’ on the jtech controller? It needs to be adjusted to just show a dot but not burn. They say to do this while out of focus but I wonder if you may have been to out of focus. I did mine just out of focus and then tweaked it a bit more in focus. I could hear it ‘sizzle’ but it wasn’t leaving a mark. Alternately, do you have the wrong motor type selected in the settings? current version shows an entry for a jtech laser you should be selecting

See:

1 Like

It turns out that it was even dumber than that. I hadn’t been changing the Tool in my Onefinity to Laser. I only used the laser once a year ago when I set it up and I completely forgot that step. I won’t forget that one again!

3 Likes