Laser Strengths and Speeds?

I just got and set up my Jtech 14W Dual on my X-50 Journeyman.

But I am so lost. I want to start making grids for various materials, but I have no idea where to start?

What are the base points for different materials? Plywood, Pine, Walnut, Maple, Acrylic, Tile, Granite etc.

Obviously, speed and power are going to vary on the materials, Pine at 1000mm/s and 40% power probably won’t register on Granite. Anyone have any useful starting points?

I don’t even know where to begin!

I don’t have this laser so can’t help directly. However, you may find this video useful: How to use the Lightburn Material Test card with YOUR BASELINE SETTINGS. Full demonstration! - YouTube

There also seems to be a lightburn library here: 14w Pro Jtech Laser Lightburn Library

1 Like

I’m looking for the same information. I found a test card that was designed for a 7w JTech but I’m guessing I’d need to make some adjustments to use it on the 14w. I’ve searched this forum, the VCarve forum, and the Facebook group, and am coming up empty. Were you able to find anything to help get you started?

The information on the 14W seems hard to find in one place, but by using a few bits here and there, and then setting up my own test card I have found settings that work pretty well for a range of materials for text and in-fill. I work in Metric, but my test matrix is basically 3x3.
Speeds 40 mm/sec, 50, 60
Laser Power 100%, 80%, 60%.

I have some filled text, and a filled rectangle, and some lines. The fills are cross hatch (but only 1 direction not both, and with a 0.14mm step.

The lines are single runs.

In developing the test card, an earlier version was double cross hatched, 25 mm/sec, 100% power, and this burnt about 1/2 way through 7mm ply. Lots of smoke, some flames. Not the result I was hoping for.

One thing I did note is that the life of the laser is supposed to be significantly better run at 80% than 100%, so that’s my target power now.

Will post the .CRV file when I have a few minutes.

I have not yet done any real testing on cutting with the laser (other than the un-intentional above).

2 Likes

I did some test runs on 1/4" MDF yesterday trying to cut through and had success at 100% power, 15 IPM, and 20 passes and also success at 100%, 30, and 20. On a subsequent test, the circle fell out well before 10 passes when running at 30 IPM. So I ended the day being more confused about what it takes to cut MDF than when I started. There are just so many combinations of power, speed, and passes.

I’m glad you pointed out that 80% is better on the laser over time than 100% because I was confused about why you’d want to run it at anything other than 100%. I was expecting that you’d just increase the speeds and/or reduce the passes if 100% was too much.

After finding so much posted in the forum and on Facebook and on Youtube for the Onefinity CNC, I’ve been frustrated by the lack of information on the JTech laser for the Onefinity.

1 Like

How difficult is it to swap out the laser and home the router to the same spot as the laser? Seems like the laser is best for engraving and the router for cutting.

Ken,

I don’t think it’s that difficult to do, and generally I think that is right.

However the laser cut look is sometimes what people want, so learning how to use the laser to cut and what it’s limitations are seems worth it.

I did some laser cutting tests on 7mm plywood today, which turned out much better than expected. Last week I cut 4mm marine ply, with setting that were too fast, and 20+ repeats were required to get through the 4mm.

With 7mm ply today, and running the J-Tech 14W laser at 100%, 5 mm/sec it only took 5 passes to easily get through the plywood.